Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Question about Joint Details for PJP T, Y & K
- - By dhagfors (*) Date 11-21-2017 19:34
Making a Pre-Qualified WPS for matched square tubing.  Using D1.1-2015.  9.10.1.1 tells me to use the dimensions in figure 9.11 for PJP welds in the flare bevels. 
Figure 9.11 for side matched connections is the drawing I'm looking at.  It gives a formula for the dimensions.  It says, "CORNER DIMENSION C ≥ tb + 1/8" AND r ≥2tb OR ROOT OPENING ≥ 1/16" OR SEE 9.10.1.1. 
How is this and or interpreted?
Can this be interpreted to mean that a root opening in excess of 1/16" makes the other two dimensions unnecessary?  I am trying to make a sketch for this WPS and am trying to make this as simple as possible to execute.
Thank you for your feedback!
-Dave
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-21-2017 22:22
What size HSS?

Use a piece of the HSS member to make a mock up of the joint and there will be less guess work.

Do you really have to comply with D1.1? In other words, much of the information on tubular connections are intended or were intended for the off shore drilling industry. Applications that are architectural often do not need to meet all the design constraints of CJP tubular connections. The Engineer should be able to provide some insight as to the application.

Al
Parent - - By dhagfors (*) Date 11-21-2017 23:24
The steel we are using is mostly 4x3 and 3x3 box tubing, with most members being 3/16" thick.  These will be canopy structures, holding very large solar installations.  This work will be done on top of parking ramps and lots.  The engineers aren't much help, they still haven't confirmed if D1.1 is necessary and they're still in the design phase and haven't worked with the welding code before, but I'll run the book down to them tomorrow and see if they'll take a look.  I was assuming that we would be using PJP groove welds along the tops and bottom of T-connections, and fillet welds on the sides.  They've already been bidding on these jobs and want us to be ready to jump the moment we get one.  I'm just trying to prepare for any possible scenario by writing all the WPS's we may need.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 11-29-2017 20:36
So for 3/16" wall on the branch tube, you have to have 3/16" + 1/8" = 5/16" from the tangent point of the run tube to the outside of the branch tube wall

AND ONE OF THE 2 FOLLOWING:

you have to have a radius on the corners of the run tube of at least 2 x 3/16" = 3/8"
OR
you have to have a (root) opening of at least 1/16"

Final Option
None of the above and bevel it like a CJP
Parent - By dhagfors (*) Date 12-07-2017 21:13
Excellent, that helps a lot.  Thanks for your time!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Question about Joint Details for PJP T, Y & K