Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help with PQR and WPS Clarification
- - By JParish Date 11-30-2017 20:29
We have been asked to build an 8" 16GA Inconel Pipe to a 1/2" 330 S.S Plate flange. This will be a Horizontal Fillet. We also have to Weld 3/4" Inconel pipe  to 8" that will be out of position. From what I can find is that neither base metals are Prequalified so I will have to do a WPS Qualification. Do I need to Use Figure 4.5 detail B 2F For the Pipe to Plate Flange weld and Figure 4.5 Detail C 6G for the Pipe to Pipe weld? If yes I am having trouble figuring out what thickness of the plate and pipe that I need to use. I was thinking about just making a mach up piece of what the production welds will be. I am also having trouble figuring out what the welder qualification test will be. If they do a pipe groove test 1) Inconel to Inconel and 2) Inconel to 330 stainless at 1/4 wall thickness minimum but no more than 3/8 that should cover them for plate or pipe 1/16 to 1/2 correct? Any help is much appreciated.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-01-2017 01:18
This is a structural application? If not, what is the appropriate welding standard?

Al
Parent - - By JParish Date 12-01-2017 13:10
The customer requires no certifications but we want to certify Per AWS D 1.6. Our company has set a standard that we will build everything Per an AWS applicable standard if available.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-01-2017 18:42
If the production weld is a fillet, qualify the welders on fillets. The procedure will or can be performed on grooved plate. The groove weld would be required to pass all the visual and mechanical tests.

How many are you building. If you are only fabricating one assembly, it isn't going to be very profitable. Just the naterials for the test will cost an arm and a leg.

Al
Parent - By JParish Date 12-01-2017 20:29
Yes I know the cost will be greater than the profit but the company looks at it as an investment for future jobs. The problem I am having is the material is 16 GA to 1/2 in. How can I do a qualify test with that? I thought the whole point of testing was to prove that it is a good sound weld with the mechanical strength and integrity. If I can just do a 3/8 groove test to qualify that then all of this code stuff seems very redundant to me. Maybe I just need to hire a third party to do my qualifications for me. I am only a VT level II through ANSI and feel very confused with all this stuff at times.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 12-01-2017 21:39
I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from making an investment to ensure future work, but just the raw material for testing is expensive.

I don't have D1.6 in front of me, but I think you will end up doing at least a 1/4 inch plate to 1/4 inch plate for the range of 1/8 to 1/2 inch. And you can do 1/16 to 1/16 to get you to 1/8 inch. You now have a range of 1/16 to 1/2 inch.

You might also consider qualifying to B2.1 instead of D1.6. B2.1 is more of an "all purpose" standard.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help with PQR and WPS Clarification