Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe line jobs?
- - By KSwelder Date 09-18-2017 00:46 Edited 09-18-2017 17:18
Hey guys
I am a student and will be graduating this spring and was looking for some help try to find good pipeline company or is it more contracting work through yourself?

Thanks for the help.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 11-28-2017 03:30
I like how all these student welders think they're going to graduate school and automatically get a job welding pipeline making $200,000 a year.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-03-2017 19:30
It can happen.
All depends on...
"Whooz Yo Daddy"!!!
Of course if Dad's one of them then school was unnecessary.
Parent - - By 2006strat (***) Date 12-11-2017 18:22
Your right, not what you know anymore or how good you are.  It's all about who you know, or related to.  Make sure when you do land a pipeline job, always drink beer with the boss and laugh at all his jokes.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 12-11-2017 19:10
KS Welder,

Discouragement is part of the game.  Wait until you bust your first x ray and see how tough your upper lip really is.  The thing that counts most if your going to get a job welding pipe is your weld test.  Ace that golden, as good as they've ever seen and they'll forget their Daddy's name, bust out and they won't ever remember yours.  My advice would be to break out in the industrial trades on pipe if you're able: refineries, chemical plants, boilers, food plants, refrigeration, wineries, oilfield.  Get a handle on how things get done for a year or two and build your chops.  If you want to weld pipeline you need to pass the 1104 Multiple Qualification Butt and Branch test- most "grown up" welders are too scared to even take it.  Research it, practice it, get some advice if you can find it and when you're able to do it perfectly, confidently, within a reasonable amount of time then the only question that matters and the only one you need to ask the hiring boss is, "Are you testing"?  If he says says yes, step up and show them how it's done.  That simple.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 12-12-2017 15:46
fluxie,
for some stupid reason
Kent is everyones Daddy:razz::eek::twisted::evil:
and your all still bad welders:razz::evil::twisted:
your best friend,:razz::yell::twisted::eek::evil:
Kent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-12-2017 18:32
You guys are just plain cruel today.  Me too but I must be in a good mood.

KS,

So, there will be many factors to guide you.  Do you want to travel?  Are you willing to move?  What kind of family ties do you have?  Are you already setting up a truck and buying tools?  Does your school offer placement assistance?  Are you willing to forget you know how to weld and start at the bottom? 

Besides looking for pipeline companies, look for welders and small outfits that work the pipelines and need help.  Start as a helper and get your foot in the door. 

Search the internet.  Go to the job boards regularly.  Put together a well written resume. 

Starting out, it will be more than a little difficult to get in as a contractor even on jobs using contractors for the welding.  Those boys spent years getting established. 

What codes and procedures are you learning? 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe line jobs?