Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Statistics on CWI pass/fail, women in welding etc.
- - By Penumbra-Ent Date 03-15-2018 18:27
Hi,

I am a filmmaker based out of Nashville, TN and am working on a documentary on welder and could use some help. She is  25 years old, passed the CWI  on the first try, was the only woman to pass in her class and has been heavily recruited nationally after having worked for several years in a freight car manufacturing plant in Alabama where she had been trained in literally everything they do there.

What I am looking for are statistics to use in the prologue of the film. I suspect that being female, being 25, passing the CWI on the first try etc. are all unusual details if not certainly impressive but I am having a hard time proving it statistically. I have reached out to trade organizations, schools and training facilities and have had very little luck.

About all I  know is that the welding workforce (as of 2016) was made up of 4.9% women welders and I hear that passing the CWI on the first try only has between a 15 and 30% success rate.

Could any of you point me in the right direction for additional statistics especially where women in the workforce are concerned?

Thanks,

Chris
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-16-2018 11:05
One stat that is certainly a given.....passing on the first try is an accomplishment

I passed mine on the first try but that was 19 years ago and that exam has really stepped up to challenge the exam taker's abilities as of late. I sat through my 18 year renewal and was amazed at the level of thought that the newest format brings to the table.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-16-2018 18:44
Good Day Chris and

WELDCOME TO THE ORIGINAL AWS WELDING FORUM!!  THE GREATEST WELDING FORUM IN THE WORLD, BAR NONE.

Heavy questions for your first post. 

So, first, because of current trends in education and even family persuasions that take young people away from the 'dirty' trades there are few people coming into welding at all let alone women.  So, yes, the numbers are low.  It is a very hard and, in many cases, dirty environment. 

As one who has proctored the CWI exams in AZ for about 8 years I can confirm that first of all, few women take the test.  Secondly, few people period pass it on the first attempt.  Percentages are hard to come by but around 25% is probably a pretty good number on average across the country.  So, when few women are even trying, that means even fewer are becoming CWI's and especially on the first attempt at the exams. 

Your best bet for actual facts and numbers would be to reach out to the AWS in Miami.  I don't know exactly which dept to guide you to.  You are in a unique category as to questions asked and the purpose for asking.  Just start with the receptionist who answers and they will put you on the path you need but don't be surprised if you have to go through the 'your call is being forwarded' routine a few times.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Penumbra-Ent Date 03-18-2018 14:47
Thanks Brent,

Yeah, that was a big question I know! I tried AWS and was eventually told that the person who maintains that information no longer works for AWS and they have no way to access that data. I don't know if that was a "we don't feel like it" response or if they really don't have a single person capable of accessing the right database. Either way it was a dead end.

I really hate to guess at numbers but based upon your experience in proctoring the CWI I am probably going to add that 25% figure. I appreciate it and if you run across anything else that might help, I'll be watching this thread!

Chris
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-20-2018 12:59
To my knowledge, the applicant's sex is not one of the questions on the application. AWS would not know whether the applicant is Male or Female from the application.

Al
Parent - By KBNY (**) Date 04-09-2018 17:01
I'm a woman. I passed on the first try. :wink:
But, I also took the exam 13 years ago... Before the changes
- - By bamaCWI (**) Date 04-17-2018 20:27
Does anyone know the current number of CWI's and SCWI's?
Mine renewal is still in process so I am currently expired
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-18-2018 14:02
Between 44-45,000 if I remember the numbers from a recent meeting correctly.

Brent
Parent - - By bamaCWI (**) Date 04-19-2018 02:45
The last I seen was quite a few years back at the 20-22k range. It looks like demand has increased. What I would give if the journeyman level fabricator/welder trade could rise that quickly.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 04-19-2018 19:35
I actually thought those numbers sounded a little high considering total AWS membership is only around 80,000.

Brent
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-25-2018 00:05
A search on the membernetwork returns just over 29k results when CWI and SCWI is checked.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Statistics on CWI pass/fail, women in welding etc.