Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need advice
- - By BMoore46 Date 04-13-2018 11:23
Hey guys/gals I’m trying to figure out the best path for me to take. I’ve got a month of school left and I’m 6G certified through NCCER. I went into welding because it was something I’ve always wanted to do. I did the education route for my parents and have a bachelors in business management but dropped everything a year and a half ago to become a welder. I don’t want to be stuck in a shop all day matter of fact I refuse to follow that path. I have busted my ass in and out of school and just purchased a 2010 F250 FX4 along with a Miller big blue 400 set in the back. I want to pipeline, but I hear that saddle test is a whole nother monster in itself. Even though I e passed 6G pipe I am still working on being consistent and with dif size pipes. Man I’d be willing to make a deal with an experienced pipeliner to work as his helper using my equipment. If anybody out there has some sound advice, networking info, or job info I’d appreciate any help/advice I can get. I’ve got a month left of school and I’m feeling the pressure now. I live in NW Louisiana and there’s a ton of pipeline work out here and west Texas. I am absolutely serious about being someone’s helper on my equipment.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-13-2018 23:11
You are definitely in the area for pipeline experience. Unfortunately, I have NO experience in that industry other than witnessing a few welder tests. Your "...I'm certified through NCCER." statement caught my eye as NCCER has no welder testing "program".

Even the craft certification for welders in non-existent based on multiple conversations I have had with them.

The saddle test is much different than a groove weld and a 6G is much different than having to do a 5G and 2G. The latter is more difficult. The 6G just makes it where you can do one coupon but is by no means harder and sometimes people who have passed that test feel they have "mastered" the weld test process but its far from so.

I think you're going at it the right way as far as pursuing some helper positions but don't rule out other welding jobs that may help you build your skills well above what you learned in school.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-28-2018 08:11
pipewelder_1999 aka Gerald......I like his response to this a lot.

Brad I will tell you what, I got some free time and I will pm you a number.   Call me and I think I can help you get started.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need advice