Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Curiosity question for D1.1 Clause 3
- - By WelderMan1132 Date 10-09-2018 14:57
Hello AWS experts,

I am a student from Mitchell Technical Institute in South Dakota. I am looking for some background information about the prequalification section specifically Table 3.1, 3.3, 3.6, and 3.7. AWS is the only code that I know of that has a prequalified section in their code. I am curious on how they compile information on the hundreds of types of metals and be able write a WPS without qualifying them.

Thank you
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-09-2018 15:26
Hey Mitchell

Good questions.

AWS has a number of codes with prequalified joint details.  D1.3 (structural sheet steel) and D1.6 (stainless structural steel) are other examples.

The prequalified base metals in D1.1 and the base metal/filler metal combinations that are prequalified are steels that have been around a very long time, and it is know how they will perform under certain conditions.   Those certain conditions are the "essential variables" listed in clause 3.   Joint configurations are also part of those certain conditons... It is known by years of experience that the prequalified bevel angles, root openings, root faces etc found in the prequalified joint details will work if the other essential variables are followed.

As far as "hundreds of types of metals"   Remember that D1.1 prequalification is limited to the base metals found in Table 3.1... And many of those are very similar, possibly only seperated by Grade.

The Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) has prequalified joint details in their structural steel welding specification CSA W59    It is similar in some aspects to AWS D1.1 with some notable differences...  Such as a unique set of joint details for both GMAW and GMAWP.
Parent - By WelderMan1132 Date 10-09-2018 21:26
Hey Lawrence

Thank you very much for the background information about the prequalified base metals. When we went through clause 3 in our code book class that always boggled my mind on how that worked. I totally forgot about how D1.3 and and D1.6 also had prequalified sections. We are recently just got done with D1.1 in our class
that's why I asked, and we are now moving on to other code books. Again I greatly appreciate your feedback and knowledge.

Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Curiosity question for D1.1 Clause 3