Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / D1.1 WPS, and Qualification Records
- - By RileySimmons Date 10-09-2018 19:42
I am currently a second year welding student at Mitchell Technical Institute, we are currently going over code book D1.1 and I have a question about what the difference is between a Welding Procedure Specification, Performance Qualification Record, and a Welding Qualification Test Record.  Any help on clearing this up for me would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-09-2018 20:36
Hi Riley,

You will find your answers in AWS A3.0 Standard Welding Terms and Definitions

You should also find those terms described in your textbook glossary.

Once you have read those, if you still have questions; come on back :)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-09-2018 21:48
In AWS A3.0:2010 in the "W" sections....the acronyms are slightly different for the last two that are mentioned in the post above. The Welding Procedure Specification(WPS) is listed and defined as written above, the other two (Performance Qualification Record, and a Welding Qualification Test Record) are slightly different, so be careful and make sure you are using the correct ones when looking at pages 47 and 48 in AWS A3.0:2010.

Also look in the back of the AWS D1.1 at the Sample Forms in Annex M of AWS D1.1:2015, I think it would be pretty easy to determine the differences once you browse through these forms. :cool:
- By RileySimmons Date 10-10-2018 16:46
John and Lawrence, Thank you for the helpful information I now have a better understanding between what a PQR and a WPQR are.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / D1.1 WPS, and Qualification Records