Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe saddle layout
- - By escafarms Date 10-19-2018 05:13
I am wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on how to do a saddle wrap drawing for a certain pipe joint. Two pipes join with 45 degree angles making a 90. then coming off the corner another pipe same diameter extending straight up from the 90 degree corner. My thought is to take two tee layouts and shift one 90 degrees as it would technically be two tees intersecting.
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 10-22-2018 01:29 Edited 10-22-2018 12:18
A bonafide old school sheet metal mechanic could probably scratch out a pattern in a few minutes.

Two adjacent sides are almost a regular saddle layout.
The problem is that the miter creates an ellipse.
This ellipse occurs at 45 degrees to the runs of pipe.
So it effects the curve of the saddle on the areas of pipe where its (ellipse)  at.

If you understand how this layout works. https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Layout-a-Pipe-Saddle-Cut/
And you can draw an ellipse where the bottom circle is, center lines lined up,  or trace it from the mitered pipe.
Then you can find the points at the ellipse.

Connect the dots best you can.

But what I would do unless it is really large diameter pipe, is to lay out the saddle best you can and eyeball the the rest.
If you have a lot of these to do, spend time and make one fit, then use it to make a template.
At some point the question is, can I weld this gap up quicker than I can fiddle with this fit?
I've had the pleasure of this joint on handrails or something once or twice.  

I'm curious as to why pipe was used instead of square tube or Wide Flange. I'm assuming this is some structure.
Maybe pipe is available but not tube.

Floyd
Parent - By escafarms Date 10-25-2018 18:27
I was able to salvage the pipe for free. I got paid my hourly wage to dismantle the structure. Its galvanized. I'm building a greenhouse. And let's me challenge myself.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Pipe saddle layout