Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 Tolerance on PQR Test Position
- - By Matt F (*) Date 11-09-2018 19:26
I understand the difference between a test position (1G, 1F, 2G, 2F, etc) and production welding position (F, H, etc.).

I've seen discussion on the angular tolerance for a performance qualification test.  I wonder why they didn't simply give tolerances in figures 4.3 and 4.4., but we want to use a small tolerance so that we can effectively test the welder.  Roughly +/- 5 degrees for the plate and axis of the weld seems appropriate.

What about a PQR test?  Should it be treated the same way?
I'm looking at a 2G PQR that has a drastically inclined angle within the tolerances of figure 4.1.  I'm pretty sure this is NOT correct.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-10-2018 13:21
They make this tool, I believe it is called a "spirit level", that can be used to check the orientation of the test piece. The way it works is, if the bubble is between the lines, it is good to go.

Al
Parent - By Matt F (*) Date 11-14-2018 20:04
OK, so treated the same way.
Thanks!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-16-2018 12:22
For the codes in which the test positions are given a tolerance, then I would stay within that tolerance. For any others I would not apply the allowed variations for "welding position" and eyeballing or using a level would apply.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.1 Tolerance on PQR Test Position