Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Military welding
- - By bobbarly Date 10-29-2018 14:14
I am thinking about going into the military after high school to learn discipline and get those valuable skills that I lack. I’m a senior so it probably going to be by the end of summer 2019ish and I’m leaning towards army or marines and preferably not navy since I don’t want to live on a boat and not air force since I’m really not smart enough to work on planes. Are there any welders here who welded in their service that can give their thoughts. And side note when would be the best time of year to join up to help with boot camp and such? Any advice would help. And also I’ll might be trained in pipe fitting by this time to.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-16-2018 12:15
I'm was a welder in the US Navy. It was a great job.

One thing to think about is the drastic change in lifestyle coupled with the fact that you are there to fight and die for your country. I am a cold war era veteran so my experiences are very mild compared to the many men and women who served before and after me.

Too bad about the "boat" thing. The Navy has about the best of everything including the US Marines.

You are best to keep on researching. Talk to recruiters but remember they are sneaky creatures!

Where is boot camp, what schools am I guaranteed based on my ASVAB, does my selected MOS/Rating restrict me to certain duty stations etc..
Parent - - By lou (*) Date 11-21-2018 18:35
I was a 1316 (Metal Worker) in the Marines.  Yes the Marines are a department of the Navy (the men's department).
My recruiter suggested it and im grateful he did.  One of the best career choices I could have made.  Great MOS and put me in alot of odd situations which made me think outside the box.  It propelled me into a great career as an inspector after i got out.
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 11-26-2018 14:36
I was a Marine Corps Tanker for almost 2 yrs and fought to change my MOS and also went to school and became a 1316 (MOS). Glad I made the change. When I got out I had 5 government weld certifications and became a pipe fitter (chicago) and carried on my education into engineering. No regrets here. Although, I was a guaranteed mech/elec contract right out of boot and suspiciously lost all my records - long story. My last year I was very fortunate to work as a Marine on a civil service base as a welder which was like a normal job working on some pretty cool equipment.
I must disagree with Mr. Pipewelder the Marines did not have the best of everything. You will be a different responsible human when you get out from when you go in..

Good Luck
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-27-2018 23:32
My meaning was that one of the best parts of the Navy is the US Marines.
Parent - - By lou (*) Date 12-03-2018 14:26
Devil frog no understand weird squid speak
Parent - - By lou (*) Date 12-03-2018 14:46
I guess that one other thing that should be mentioned is the limiting factor to pick up rank with a 1316 MOS.  Because NCO ranks are based on a limited number of slots in ones MOS, it was very difficult for me to progress in rank.  What i mean by that is say there are 100 total 1316s in the Corps.  There is only going to be room for a handful of E-4s and E-5s.  If those slots are already filled then those ranks are "closed" and regardless of your time in grade and/or service and points you cannot get promoted.  This does not occur much in larger MOSs like 0311 infantry which is obviously huge with a lot of available slots.  I'm not sure how many hull techs are in the navy but it may be easier to pick up rank there.  I got stuck as a lance corporal (anointed "lance colonel" because i was stuck there for so long) for the majority of my time in, i only picked up E-4 about 6 months from my release date so keep that in mind.  Had i reenlisted i would have had to move into a different MOS in order to pick up rank.  Something to consider.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-04-2018 10:40
Sorry if I used big words! :) 

As far as HT's went when I was active duty, advancement was very quick for the most part. The HT's that enlisted with guaranteed schools because of higher ASVAB scores would probably have a slightly better chance on doing well on advancement exams.

When my enlistment came to an end, I requested NDT School. I was an E-6 and they wouldn't allow it because it was considered a "conflict of interest" because I was a Nuc welder. Never did figure that one out. The other thing was that if I were to make E-7, there was no assurance I would keep on welding so I was done.

How things are done now, I have no clue since my time was many years ago.

Regardless, getting all of the "details" worked out before signing up is important but recruiters are really only a notch or two from car dealers.

If the job to be considered is only a small percentage of the group, then that could be a positive or negative thing.

Positive, you are "special".

Negative, advancement is slow and trained and experienced peers to work with are few. If there were only 100 1316's in the Marines then I imagine welding was not a big demand skill requiring welding daily.

If someone wants to go into the military there are many choices. I consider the Marines to be best at what they do, the Navy best at what they do and so on.

Regardless, nothing beats working for less than minimum wage at a job you can't just "quit" for a boss that may or may not be any count.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-04-2018 12:04
You should have drawn him a picture.

Go Navy !
Parent - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 12-05-2018 16:12
They Hate Us Cause They Ain't us... Trump 2020!!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Military welding