Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / RCSC turn of the nut, pre-installation verification testing
- - By Inspector87 Date 12-17-2018 17:01
In pre installation verification testing of bolts per RCSC, my understanding is that you are testing to verify that the bolt assembly will not fail at the prescribed KIPs per table 7.1 and to ensure that the pre tensioning method used will reach the prescribed kips. For instance, with turn of the nut, if the tension does not reach the prescribed kips at the prescribed rotation, i.e. 1/3 turn, does the bolt fail, or is the allowable plus 60% rotation allowed to be used at this point? I have always viewed it as the +60 applies to installation only and not testing. The way I see it, if the assembly does not reach the prescribed tension with a 1/3 turn (for example) then testing has shown that the method does not work with that bolt assembly. I have been told by our lead that in testing, nut rotation does not matter and you are only verifying that the assembly can reach the desired kips and you can turn it as much as you need to get the kips. The way I am reading the code, the latter is incorrect. Can anyone clarify this for me with referenced reasons as to why?
Parent - By LToca85 (**) Date 12-17-2018 18:43
This has some good information but it cost money. I got the company to pay for the course I found it helpful.

https://www.skidmore-training.com/pre-installation-verification-skidmore/
Parent - By Steelslinger (**) Date 12-17-2018 21:33
Pre-install verification is testing the method of pre-tensioning and the bolt assemblies can achieve the required pre-tension. Not whether the bolts will fail at the prescribed KIPs (that is the rotational capacity tests job).

Section 7.2 dictates that if the assemblies and method cannot attain the minimum required pre-tensioning, you must find out why before you are allowed to proceed further (second paragraph). There is no listed tolerance for degrees of rotation for this test.

The +60°/-30° is only mentioned in the notes of Table 8.2, which applies to installation only.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / RCSC turn of the nut, pre-installation verification testing