Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / THICKNESS OF WELD METAL QUALIFIED-ASME SECTION IX-QW-452.1(b
- - By norberto (*) Date 04-11-2009 13:00 Edited 04-12-2009 17:01
Hi everybody! I have a doubt. If I qualify a welder SMAW or GTAW in a plate with T=11.0 of thickness and thickness of weld metal with =11.0 mm, obviously he would be qualified to weld a thickness of 22.0 mm (2t). On the other hand, if I was in a plate with T=19.0 mm, and a thickness of weld metal with 19.0 mm would the welder be qualified to a thickness of weld metal with only19.0 mm or an ulilimited thickness of weld metal?
the main problem for us in Brazil is to understand the meaning of "Maximum to be welded). In my opinion, in this case would be 19.0 mm the thickness of weld metal qualified, but as I'm in doubt I decided to seek help.
a hug
Attachment: WALLACE-1.doc (49k)
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 04-11-2009 23:50
ASME IX / QW-452.1 (b) states that if you test with with 1/2 in. (13mm), then you will be
qualified to unlimited.  Less than 1/2 in. (13mm) would qualified you to the 2T thickness of the weld metal.
Parent - By norberto (*) Date 04-12-2009 16:33 Edited 04-12-2009 17:04
Hi, welder 5354. thank you very much regarding your answer. The problem is that I'm writing about welder qualification. If  the term unlimited was to be used- that's my opinion- the code would mention unlimited as it is in QW-452.3- Groove-Weld Diameter Limits. Anyway I will wait for the third answer to sleep well. Take a look at the attachment in my question. It wasn't at first. I have made some changes on my question. Take a look at them.
a hug
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 04-12-2009 01:01
I believe the term "maximum to be welded" should be considered to be the maximum for which the welding procedure specification to be used in production welding is qualified. 
Parent - - By norberto (*) Date 04-12-2009 16:47 Edited 04-12-2009 17:04
Hi MBSims, Thanks a lot for your answer. At first I agree with you. About the limitation on thickness regarding the thickness of the pipe welded such as the thickness of Weld Metal Qualified over 13.0 mm "Maximum to be welded". But as I said before I'm talking about welder performance, so I'm going to wait for the third answer. take a look at the attachment. I have made some changes on my question. take a look at them.
Attachment: WALLACE-1.doc (49k)
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-12-2009 23:21
Norberto,
With a Welding Procedure the diameter has no maximum limits (it is unlimited), the critical dimension is the thickness.
With a Welder Qualification the diameter has no maximum limits (it is unlimited), the critical dimension is again the thickness.
As Marty has stated the welder must follow the guidelines and variables of a qualified WPS so if you have a WPS qualified to 40 mm that is the maximum thickness that welder is qualified to. If the WPS is qualified to 75 mm thick that is what the welder is qualified to.
The welder is qualified to the maximum WPS thickness qualified by his employer.
As an example.
A company has only 1 SMAW WPS
SMAW (4.8 to 25.4 mm)
If the welder qualifies on 15 mm plate theoretically he is qualified to 30 mm but in reality the WPS is only qualified to 25.4 mm so that is the "maximum to be welded"
The company then qualifies a 2nd SMAW WPS
SMAW (4.8 to 50 mm)
If the welder qualifies on a 30 mm plate he is theoretically qualified to 60 mm but the WPS is only qualified to 50 mm so that is the "maximum to be welded."

It would be impossible to cover the multitude of different thicknesses and combinations on one Welder Qualification Certificate so that is why they state "maximum to be welded"
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Shane

Parent - - By norberto (*) Date 04-16-2009 13:22
Hi Shane Feder. Congratulations, I clearly understood your answer, thank you very much. The ASME code, in my opinion, should include after the term: "Maximum to be welded according to the WPS in which the welder is qualified". It was a pleasure to be in touch with you.
best wishes,
Norberto
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 04-16-2009 20:24
But, don't forget that the WPS which the welder used in the qualification test is not the only WPS the welder is allowed to use.  The welder may use any other WPS, including one that has a broader range of qualification, so long as the production welds to be made are within the welder's range of qualification.  So it means "maximum to be welded according to the WPS to be used in production welding, and within the other limits of the welder's qualification".
Parent - By norberto (*) Date 04-16-2009 21:07 Edited 04-16-2009 21:10
Oh, yes, MBSims. Including the essential welding variables for welder performance- QW-416. Regarding the welding processes. Now I can sleep well tonight. thank you.
a hug,
Norberto
Parent - By pktien Date 12-20-2018 09:17
Standard Designation:  BPV Section IX
Edition/Addenda: 
Para./Fig./Table No: 
Subject Description:  QW-452.1(b)
Date Issued:  12/08/2011
Record Number:  11-2030
Interpretation Number :  IX-10-35
Question(s) and Reply(ies): 

Question: Regarding QW-452.1(b) for performance qualification, is "Maximum to be welded" equivalent to "Unlimited"?

Reply: Yes.
Parent - - By Mayur (*) Date 01-01-2019 05:48
If welder is qualified in copun thickness more than 13 mm during welder performance qualification, then as per ASME section IX he /she is qualified to weld unlimited thickness of weld groove in production joint and there shall be no limitation on thickness of weld joint.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-01-2019 11:24
Please understand that your statement comes with some other requirements. If someone reads the statement without following up with the actual code requirements, then they could be mistaken.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-01-2019 16:07
He works with a contractor that has (like many) selective reading disorder.

Al
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-01-2019 16:10
"Selective reading disorder" is the ability to only read those articles, clauses, or paragraphs that suit the immediate need. Requirements that are restrictive or distasteful are ignored.

Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-01-2019 17:31
I have seen that going around. Ya gotta pick out the rules you like!
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 01-02-2019 11:58
Mayur,
Its not more than 13 mm. (QW-452.1b) Its 13 mm or greater, but you are partially correct. It would be limited by process, i.e. If you weld with the GTAW process on a 13 mm coupon then the welder has "Maximum to be welded (or as interpreted, unlimited qualifications) with that process. That would hold true for his/her performance qualification, but the welder, even if they have an unlimited performance qualification can be limited by the WPS on how much material can be deposited into any given joint. A good rule to remember is, basically, ASME Sec. IX is broken into two parts. Welding procedure qualification and welder performance qualification.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / THICKNESS OF WELD METAL QUALIFIED-ASME SECTION IX-QW-452.1(b