Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Extent of Non-Destructive Testing
- - By kchiluka Date 01-02-2019 13:59
Hi

I have been interacting with EPCs world wide regarding extent of Non-Destructive Testing for a piping Project.
I have following inferences:

1. NDT Percentages are decided based on Piping Class
2. NDT Percentages are decided based on Material Group
3. NDT Percentages are decided based on Material Group and working and design conditions 

Can anyone help me if there is any standard or a protocol to decide on the extent of Non-Destructive Testing
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2019 14:16
Most if not all of the projects that I'm involved with regarding NDT (Visual, MT, UT, and PT) the project specification spell out the extents of how much NDT is required for each method or type of joint.
If the extent of NDT is not clearly spelled out, I would contact someone to find out before the project starts or gets too far along.
Parent - - By kchiluka Date 01-02-2019 14:25
Thank you jwright
i would like to know how is the extent of NDT in  a project specification decided
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2019 15:29
I suppose it would depend on how detrimental a particular joint is or the safety of the public or an employers employees working in close proximity and how comfortable the engineer or project specifier is with those factors.
Deciding on which NDT method to use and frequency of the testing depends on what type of flaws need to be inspected for due to the welding process used, NDT testing method pros and cons, and the types of materials used in the construction.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-02-2019 16:01
It helps when you cite a specific welding/construction standard.

Piping could be to an ASME B31.X construction, API, or even a military standard. Each has different requirements as to the type and extent of NDT required.

Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-03-2019 10:52
In some cases, a piping project may require NDE in accordance with the code of construction for the project. A common one is B31.3 in which NDE requirements are specified by piping class and also for welder verification.

For ASME B31.1, the nde is decided by the service conditions of the pipe and maybe diameter (I am not looking at a code and may be wrong).

Even with the code requirements, a customer may specify additional NDE if they choose to.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Extent of Non-Destructive Testing