Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Period of Effectiveness
- - By SWN1158 (***) Date 02-08-2019 14:46
In D1.1, 4.2.3.1 states that (1) a welder’s or welding operator’s qualification remains in effect unless the welder is not engaged in a given “process” of welding for which the welder or welding operator is qualified for a period exceeding six months, or (2) there’s a specific reason to question a welder’s or welding operator’s ability.

I’ve often wondered why this verification is just for a given process, and it doesn't include a given position. If a welder is qualified for a 2G position using the FCAW process, which qualifies for horizontal and flat groove welds, and horizontal and flat fillet welds, but the welder’s continuity is eventually verified in the FCAW process with say, a flat fillet weld, which has a lesser degree of difficulty than that of a horizontal groove weld… why wouldn’t continuity be required on the more difficult horizontal groove weld? 

The only thing I can think of is that item (2) would kick in at that point.

I’ve always maintained a continuity log based on process only, and I was just curious about how others address this.  It just doesn’t make sense to me not to maintain continuity based on the more difficult position, as opposed to the process.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 02-10-2019 02:40
It would be interesting to let welders apply their thoughts to the requirements for inspectors to maintain their qualifications. :)

If an organization wants to exceed the requirements of a code because they do something "special" they should.

I guess the good things about making the process documentation heavy is that need for documentation people can sometimes be filled with inspectors...provided they have the right "documentation endorsement"

Have a great day.
- - By LToca85 (**) Date 02-08-2019 15:44
I wonder the same about with in the same process but in regard with welding say carbon or stainless. Lets say a welder is qualified to D1.1 to FCAW E71T1-M21A2-CSI-H8 but they are also qualified to E308LT0-1 in D1.6. Both are an FCAW process so would welding 1 keep the continuity log going for the other?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-09-2019 20:30
Many codes are developed by committees. When the vote is taken to include a requirement or provision, depending on the particulars of the committee, a simple majority or 2/3 majority takes the day. Some want something that favors the interest of one contingent (fabricators), another a different contingent (designers), then there's always the remaining contingent (the owners). Each contingent has some level of self interest that can influence their vote. Its a good argument to make sure the committee membership is balanced.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Period of Effectiveness