Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Basic Welding Questions I need answered
- - By flec Date 12-12-2004 06:50
Hi I am new to welding and I have these questions if anyone knows the answer
to even one of them it would help me out a ton Thanks

What is the cheapest shielding gas to use for MIG?

What is the functional electrode in a wire fed MIG welder?

Where does the shielding come from in an innershield wire?

Can FCAW be used in conjunction with a shielding gas?

What would happen if I added a shielding gas to a flux core operation what would happen?

Should I push or pull flux core wire when welding?

Why would I choose to solder over weld?
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-12-2004 07:53
CO2 is cheapest but won't work on all metals. The wire itself. The wire is actually a tube with flux inside, the flux provides the shield. Some flux core wire is designed to be used with shielding gas. If the wire requires it it's necessary, for wire designed to be self shielding I doubt if it would hurt anything. I've never used this process but I believe most pull it. Solder melts at low temperatures, thus you will cause much less damage to the state of heat treating in the metal, less damage to any plating, dissimilar metals that might be difficult to weld can often be soldered, it's reasonably easy to do with simple equipment...
Bill
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 12-12-2004 08:31
flec,
Welcome to the forum. I'll start with some simple answers....

Cheapest shielding gas is CO2.

Not sure what you mean by "functional electrode", .045 is very common.

The powdered "flux core" provides shielding gas (among other things), the slag also provides shielding.

Yes, depending on the electrode type, a shielding gas or combination of gasses can also be used in FCAW. This is refered to as gas-shielded (FCAW-G) versus self-shielded (FCAW-S).

If you add a shielding gas to a self-shielding electrode it can produce a defective weld.

A pull gun technique will give you a bit more penetration and a narrower bead. A push gun technique will give you a bit less penetration and a bead profile that is flat to slightly concave and and wider.

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Basic Welding Questions I need answered