Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASTM A36M steel LP turbine inner casing weld built up
- - By bitra328 Date 05-30-2019 09:32
Hello everyone - this is my first post here,
We found metal lost during the dismantling of the Turbine and recommended to weld built up, My concern is that the thickness is more than 40 mm at different places nearby. The surface to be built up has ~ 42 mm minimum thickness on all around till the edge
A clarification required for thickness limitations for pre-heat and PWHT of A36M steel. Is there any guideline for below concerns
- Min. thickness criteria for preheating and PWHT
- Any procedure to weld without pre-heat/PWHT
If the casing crack starts the Inner casing of the turbine will be of no use and badly affect the final installation schedule and need an urgent response from any of the experienced in the forum
Thnks in advance
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-30-2019 15:07
Turbine compressor case, even LPT,,, A36?

Are you sure?

You absolutely need to consult the original equipment manufacturer OEM of the case and acquire their standard practices for weld repair and criteria for determining engineering variances.

There may also be some guidance or a pathway to guidance for a repair approach in the governing specifications you must comply with, but you did not mention those.

That’s the only advice I will risk.
Parent - - By bitra328 Date 05-31-2019 06:25
This is to manage the clearance requirements between crush pins of the diaphrgm and inner casing. Inner casing material lost during the dismantling process
Parent - By Steelslinger (**) Date 05-31-2019 16:29
That situation does not change the relevance of Lawrence's advice.

You need to contact the OEM and ask them how to accomplish what it is that you want to do.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASTM A36M steel LP turbine inner casing weld built up