Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.6 Welder Qualification apply to D1.1?
- - By SeeJeepGo (*) Date 07-22-2019 12:07
I know that D1.6-2007 section 4.7.5 says with Engineer approval a performance qualification test coupon can use a base metal listed in D1.1 Group 1 or 2 and that will qualify the welder to D1.6.  Great.

What about the inverse.... can someone who is qualified to Tig under D1.6 also be considered qualified for D1.1.  Since the base metal isnt an EV is it just the filler metal that matters?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-22-2019 13:24
I don't think it's "exactly" the inverse, because it's not stated similarly in D1.1

However the "Engineer" 4.2.1.2 has authority to accept qualification from other standards.    So I think a D1.6 performance qual could be accepted by the Engineer if they elected to write that into the project specifications.   But it's not an "automatic" as in D1.6

Furthermore...  GTAW is not a prequalified process in D1.1  See clause 3.2     So a WPS qualification would be required for any production, even with prequalified joint configurations on prequalified base metals.   Just an FYI.
Parent - - By SeeJeepGo (*) Date 07-22-2019 13:56
Thats what I was thinking too, but while searching i came across an old post from Al [https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?pid=79270#pid79270%5d (in response to you actually :-D ) and so i wanted to double check if there was more to back it up.

yes thank you im aware of the non pre-qualified status of GTAW. luckily I have a couple SWPS on the books that our WPS's reference.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-22-2019 14:30
Now ya see...   Al taught me something (that's not the surprising part) and 12 years later I remembered it :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.6 Welder Qualification apply to D1.1?