Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDT Experience Hours
- - By brownl21 (*) Date 01-16-2020 15:59
How does an employer go about getting their first ASNT Level II in a given NDT method certified without violating the minimum experience hours requirement?  You can't perform the inspections without the certification and you can't get the certification without the experience hours in the method, right?  An obvious solution is to hire someone outside the organization with the hours, but is there any way to certify existing employees that don't already have the experience hours?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-16-2020 18:25
The employee working to get his hours works alongside the contracted NDE person and gets their hours.  Most outside contractors will freely allow them to operate equipment, work on technique, sign log sheets to attest to hours, etc.  Especially if it is part of their contract going into the arrangement. 

Once hours are achieved they go to your company Level III, who may also be your contracted service provider, and test to get their Level II qualifications. 

How much of the process do you understand?  Are you aware there may be allowances for overlapping hours if they are going for two or more NDE disciplines at the same time?  What spec in ASNT are you using?  SNT-TC-1A or CP-189?  Do you have a written QC policy for training and qualifying?  Do you have a Level III on retainer?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By brownl21 (*) Date 01-16-2020 22:27
How much of the process do you understand? I have read SNT-TC-1A and I have read about the Central certification program on the ASNT website.

Are you aware there may be allowances for overlapping hours if they are going for two or more NDE disciplines at the same time? No, but I assumed the hours in the specific method would also count towards the total hours of NDT for any method if that's what you mean.

What spec in ASNT are you using?  SNT-TC-1A

Do you have a written QC policy for training and qualifying?  No.

Do you have a Level III on retainer? No, right now we contract everything out except visual.  We have gotten quotes to put one on retainer and to write our policy for training and qualifying but we haven't followed through with it.  Partially because getting the experience hours will be problematic.

Thanks.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-17-2020 12:20
I really feel for the guys who are trying to build up experience hours, especially for Level II UT. I was really lucky in that regard as we had a Level III in house at the time I was earning my hours, plus our shop welded full pen welds everyday, lots of them, so my hours piled up pretty quickly. Several places where I go to UT I have guys ask me how to go about getting their UT hours and I really didn't know how to help them. Their company didn't have anyone to UT and that was why I was there, so they didn't have anyone to shadow or to work with to gain any hours except for the classroom hours where they would take the courses.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-17-2020 19:49
I'm hoping Al will come along and chime in here.  He is so much more familiar with this process and describing how to achieve it.  Meantime, I will see if I can find one of his earlier posts to cut and paste.

Brent
Parent - By brownl21 (*) Date 01-20-2020 21:39
Thanks everyone.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 01-18-2020 20:26
In order to gain the relevant work experience, I used to hire a lab to perform the UT, PT, or MT to fulfill the contract, but I would perform the examination while the Level II witnessed the work, gave pointers, etc. He signed the reports and signed my log regarding the hours.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NDT Experience Hours