Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / scored shaft
- - By james264 Date 12-29-2004 02:03
O.k Guys and Gals I got a Transmission shaft with some pretty good 1/16 in. scratches in it. My question can I TIG OR MIG OR STICK over this and then turn it down on my lathe?The shaft is steel not sure of the exact composition when I hit it with a file it appears to be hardened.Should I preheat ? Grove out the scratch deeper on the lathe before welding ? I don't have a spray welder .Thanks Jim !!!!!!!!!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-29-2004 04:14
1) The shaft will not stay straight
2) Depending upon the material and heat treated condition, the shaft may not have the properties required.

That being said, I worked in a machine shop for a few years and we spent quite a few hours performing weld buildup on shafts of various materials using GMAW and SMAW(Nickel Alloys) . Just welding up the scored area will result in a warped shaft with a locally hardened area around the heat affected zone . Undercutting and turning usually resulted in shafts that were stable during turning.

It depends on the location of the damaged area, the service of the shaft, and the cost associated with a possible failure in the future.

Hope this helps.

Gerald Austin
htp://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 12-29-2004 22:04
Pipewelder is right.
I would recommend a machinable epoxy repair compound.

Good Luck
Tim
Parent - By LarryL (**) Date 12-29-2004 22:45
I'd suggest you consider repairing your scored shaft with Devcon's titanium epoxy putty. When I tore down a large Walker-Turner bandsaw about 8-10 years ago to rebuild it, I discovered that its main drive shaft was scored in several places and its aluminum variable-pitch sheave worn down (hub of one half was worn down, making it wobble). The drive shaft is a complex one and the variable-pitch sheaves were no longer available. I purchased a Devcon titanium epoxy repair kit from MSC, applied the epoxy and turned the semi-hardened material down on a lathe. The repaired areas seemed to have stood up well to the present time. Devcon's case studies indicate that their epoxy has been used to repair the shafts of large industrial pumps. This is Devcon's description of their titanium epoxy: http://www.devcon.com/devconfamilyproduct.cfm?familyid=124.0&catid=34

LarryL
Parent - - By james264 Date 12-30-2004 00:08
Thanks guys I will look up the epoxy .Thanks again for all your help and best wishes for a great New Year !!!! Jim
Parent - By n5uzt (**) Date 01-16-2005 16:48
would it be possible to use stoody spray powder?
ther is a cam shaft co. here in little rock that
use's stoody spray powder torch to build up
shafts then mach. down.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-11-2005 14:25
I don't know if I'm still on time to post an answer.
Years ago I ran into the same problem with the shaft of a sulphuric acid plant blower. We repaired it by Hard Chrome Plating and the result was splendid.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By harleyhitman (**) Date 01-15-2005 22:47
“THE ‘MIGHTY MITE’ SOLDER ALLOY”
This exceptional silver reinforced alloy is suitable for all dissimilar metals,chrome plated steels,
stainless steel,copper,brass and bronze.
IDENTIFICATION: Silver Spool
APPLICATION: Torch,Soldering Iron,Induction Heating
CRONABRAZE 92C SUPERIOR ADVANTAGES:
• COMPLIES WITH ALL FOOD AND BEVERAGE RESTRICTIONS
• 5 TIMES AS STRONG AS SOLDER
• LEAVES A SMOOTH, SHINY, SILVER DEPOSIT
• LOWEST HEAT FACTOR NEEDED FOR APPLICATION
• HIGHEST RESISTANCE TO CORROSION
• CONTAINS NO ZINC, CADMIUM, LEAD OR ANTIMONY
• AVAILABLE IN ACID CORE, ROSIN CORE AND SOLID
TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
TENSILE STRENGTH: 22,000 PSI (152 MPa)
TEMPERATURE: 425°F (218°C)
OPERATING PROCEDURES:
Do not apply flame directly to alloy.Direct heat to the base metal or either side of the joint.Alloy will
flow smoothly as soon as melting process commences.Flux residue is easily removed with hot water.
APPLICATIONS:
• STAINLESS STEEL AND CHROME PLATED STEEL • HOSPITAL EQUIPMENT
• FOOD PROCESSING EQUIPMENT • INSTRUMENT REPAIR
• IN PLACE HYDRAULIC RAM REPAIR
TECHNICAL TIPS:
Wherever common solder is subjected to vibration,sudden
jar or other stresses,use CRONABRAZE 92C and eliminate
joint failures.
If additional flux is required,EAGLE F920 and
F930 paste flux are recommended.
CONFIDENTIAL MATERIAL, REPRODUCTION, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, PROHIBITED Printed in U. S. A. (Rev. 7/ 01)
PART
NO.
CW1020
CW1021
CW1816
CW1815
CW1819
CW1818
CW1817
ELECTRODE
SIZE
1/16 x 9 ft. Acid Core
1/16 x 1 lb. Acid Core
1/8 x 1 lb. Acid Core
1/16 x 9 ft. Rosin Core
1/16 x 1 lb. Solid
1/8 x 1 lb. Solid
1/8 x 5 lbs. Solid
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
CRONATRON WELDING SYSTEMS, INC.
CRONABRAZE ™ 92C
WE 11.1 Corporate, Research & Distribution Hdqrs: 6510 Northpark Blvd. Charlotte, NC 28216-2367/ 800-843-0763/ www.cronatronwelding.com
Return to Index
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / scored shaft