Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME B31.3 Requirements for Welders
- - By Gigimom (*) Date 03-11-2021 18:20
I have a welder who we are trying to get certified on Stainless to Stainless only, our procedure states he must submit a full pin coupon for burst and radiography, someone wants us to by-pass this and just certify him on pipe to pipe only since this is all he will be welding, but I was wondering if ASME says anything about this, or if our procedure is strictly for my company, and we have just went above and beyond what they require?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-12-2021 15:53
Speak English please. You're using jargon than more than likely is company specific.

Al
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-17-2021 18:02
What code is your procedure qualified to? i.e. ASME Sec. IX. or? I have never seen an ASME or API code that required a burst test. This is what we would typically need to know when asking a question:
1. What code are you qualify your procedure or welder to. i.e. ASME Sec. IX or API 1104 etc.
2. What code are you building to. This is called the code of construction. i.e. API 1104 which is just a welding code, API 650, ASME B31.1, B31.3 ASME Sec. I etc.
3. What materials are you welding. i.e. 304L or A106 B.
4. What thicknesses are you dealing with.
5. Are there any special conditions that are being called out by engineering or client. i.e. CVN's, Hardness, PWHT, NACE requirements
It's hard to answer questions like yours without information.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME B31.3 Requirements for Welders