Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Buildup WPS AWS D1.1
- - By Seymour86 (*) Date 03-24-2021 19:20
Hi all,
I've searched the forum and found some info in regards to build up in ASME Section IX But nothing in D1.1. A common repair at the company I work for is to repair noncritical / nonloadbearing corroded base material by means of surfacing and grinding flush. My question is, How do I qualify a WPS for surfacing that is to brings material back to its original thickness? I haven't been able to find anything in D1.1(2020) so I turned to qualify a process through B2.1 section 4.9 for cladding and 4.10 for hardfacing but I dont think cladding or hardfacing apply to our situation. Any input is appriciated.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-24-2021 20:24
Write a repair procedure that details your process, to create a "Referencing Document".
Use welding parameters backed up by a typical Groove weld PQR.
Use AWS B2.1:2014 Sections, 4.3.6, 4.3.7 (1), and 4.6 to create a Special Test Weldment and Simulated Service Test by welding a 3/8" thick plate as per your procedure.
Cut face and root bend test straps from the plate, ensuring a weld repair area will be in the center of the bend radius.
Use this to qualify a repair procedure.
Reference the typical PQR.
Write a WPS based on both PQRs.
This way you have something to show a Customer to review / approve / reject if applicable.

Tim
Parent - By Seymour86 (*) Date 03-24-2021 20:36
Thank you very much Tim! That sounds like a good course of action.
Parent - - By Jovi Zhu (**) Date 03-25-2021 04:30 Edited 03-26-2021 11:48
Hi Seymour,
Buildup is to restore material thickness and as already pointed out by Tim you need a groove weld WPS/PQR because all the required tests of it serve the purpose of ensuring the resulted weld+HAZ with a set of welding variables have the equivalent mechanical properties such as tensile strength, ductility, etc. of the base metal.

Cladding and hardfacing is for surfacing purpose to achieving different properties from the base metal, i.e. the corrosion and wear resistance. The qualification tests for this purpose will typically include chemical analysisi for corrosion resistance and hardness testing for hardfacing, and are normally not the required qualificaiton tests for groove WPS/PQR.

Cheers,

Jovi
Parent - - By Seymour86 (*) Date 03-28-2021 19:02
Thank you Jovi, your description makes it easy to explain it to the engineers involved.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-28-2021 19:58
I would suggest AWS B2.1 be used to qualify the surfacing weld you are describing. The Engineer would have to concur with the use of AWS B2.1, but I believe it is better suited for the purpose you describe. It utilizes the same approach as ASME Section IX for the qualification of cladding.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Buildup WPS AWS D1.1