Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Qualifying Single Bevel Per clause 4
- - By ShayKe (*) Date 04-11-2021 12:53
Hi guys,

I have to qualify a single bevel butt joint (astm a 516 gr 70, 3/8'' plate) weld from one side,
where the root opening is 0 and the root face is 1/16'' - per AWS D1.1-2015,

I can't use prequalified per clause 3 because there is no backing or backgouging.
under the assumption that I can make a CJP and qualify per clause's 4 requirements, can I use
this PQR for other types of grooves (V groove, for example) - using table 4.5 essential variable 31 - "a change in groove type...except qualification  of any CJP groove weld qualifies for any CJP groove detail conforming the requirements of 3.12..." -

I know it doesn't conform to clause 3 requirements (no backing or backgouging, as noted), but, logically, single bevel is much harder to penetrate than single V with the same dimensions.

unfortunately, I can't change the design.

What do you think?

Thanks.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-11-2021 18:38
You can include any prequalified groove detail in the WPS.

Al
Parent - - By ShayKe (*) Date 04-12-2021 04:06
As always, thanks for responding Al.

If I understand what you are saying -
I can't include a CJP configuration where the joint is welded from one side (because it's not a detailed groove shown in the figures of clause 3).
In the WPS I can only include it as a PJP configuration.

Shay
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-12-2021 12:46
Not exactly what I meant.

Your WPS is qualified for the groove detail you qualified and all prequalified joint details for both PJP and CJP with backing or with back gouging, prequalified fillets, etc.

As for the groove you qualified, you are limited to the tolerances of the applicable table. The tolerances for the prequalified joint details are as per the figures accompanying each joint detail.

I hope I did a better job of clarifying what I was trying to say.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ShayKe (*) Date 04-12-2021 22:41
I think I understood but I'll ask again just to clarify:
Let's say I am qualifying a single bevel welded from one side as a CJP using clause 4,
I will be able to use it under the restrictions of tables of clause 4 (essential variables, thickness limitations etc. Is that what you meant by "you are limited to the tolerances of the applicable table"?) and for all the prequalified joints per clause 3 according to their joint details in the relevant figures.

Though, I can't use it in order to qualify a V groove welded from one side without backing or backgouging. Right?

Another question if I may, if I have a situation in which a plate is machined in a way that the groove to be welded (butt joint) is smaller than the plate's thickness, can I qualify according to the groove thickness only and not the plate's entire thickness? I don't see a reason to relate to the plate's thickness, only to the specific welded region in order to determine the qualifying test plate.

Best regards,
Shay
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Qualifying Single Bevel Per clause 4