Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.5:2020 7.8.2 clarification of plates position
- - By Quality0537 (*) Date 06-10-2021 19:51
I am looking for a little clarification or interpretation of a slight conflict between AWS d1.5:2020 7.8 Position of Test Welds

7.8.1 that ………………..  Each WPS shall be tested in the position in which welding will be performed in the work.

But then 7.8.2 Groove welds test positions. indicates --  Plates shall be welded in the following positions, except that test welds made in the flat position shall also qualify for the horizontal position.

I can understand and see a connection on this for fillet welds (1Fand 2F), but I cannot seem to grasp how welding in a 1G could possibly qualify a 2G weld.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-10-2021 20:52 Edited 06-10-2021 20:56
Here is the commentary for the clause you are questioning and as you can see it's not a mistake :)

My guess would be that heat inputs are so similar that they make the exception for procedure qualification and fillets.  But that's only a guess.

C-5.8.2 Groove Weld Test Positions. An exception is
made to allow test welds made in the flat position to also
be considered for qualification of the horizontal position.
This exception is allowed for groove weld positions and
may also be considered to qualify fillet weld WPSs. This
exception, however, does not extend to the fillet weld
soundness test (see 5.10.3).

Lastly:   If you are the engineer and your judgement is that PQR testing ought to be required for both positions, you may certainly do so.   I would not be terribly surprised if various jurisdictional authorities or state DOTs make that ask.

Also also::::  I took my snip from the 2015 edition, so this is nothing new.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.5:2020 7.8.2 clarification of plates position