Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Weird GMAW question?
- - By louis2 (**) Date 06-27-2022 22:09
Working for a company that does it this way. AR95%-O5% set at 30cfh, .045S-6 wire, .052 contact tip, 28 volts and then they run the wire speed up so high they get spatter with a lot of crackling. I believe this is a hot globular transfer mode.
When I used one of the welders today I reduced the wire speed to give me a true spray arc. I got some porosity in a few of my welds. They do not grind or clean anything.

My question is, do you think running the wire speed up high helps prevent the porosity?

Yes .052 tips, they claim it helps prevent clogging. They have been running these setups many years.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-18-2022 20:13
The use of a larger diameter contact tip means there is poor, inconsistent electrical contact between the electrode and the inside of the contact tip. The electrode is "slapping" back and forth inside the contact tip only making momentary electrical contact. This translates into inconsistent current through the electrode and results in inconsistent welds.

Try using the proper diameter contact tip. Yes, you might have to change the contact tip more often, but you should see an immediate improvement in your weld quality. The use of 95% argon should give you a nice spray, with little if any spatter, and it should make a nice "whoosh" sound rather than a snap, crackle, pop sound you currently hear.

There's a reason the contact tip is called a "consumable", it needs to be changed, sometime a few times during a shift. The cost of a new contact tip is a lot less than the labor cost of cleaning up the spatter and the improvement in weld quality.

Al
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Weird GMAW question?