Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / ASME SNT-TC-1A - Question on Training expiration
- - By PFI (**) Date 10-02-2023 13:12
All,

Does the method training ever expire?  To better explain see examples below ...

1) New employee has been trained in VT, PT, & MT Methods and has certification to prove he/she has met the required hours in past employment.  the person has performed in the methods prior to leaving that employer 3 years ago.

2) New employee has been trained in MT and VT methods, has certificates showing he/she is certified.  Person had performed in the methods for 3 years but has not performed in either method for 10 years. 

In both cases above the person has completed the training and hours as required and also performed in the methods after receiving the certification. 

Questions:

1) Is the training still valid in each case?

2) If the training is still valid, they would only need to be recertified?

3) If both above are "yes" person 1 would meet recommendations in 12.1 (ASNT-SNT-TC-1A:2020) or would need to test per 12.2?

4) What about person 2?

Sorry for the long post, trying to get some good clarification.

Thank you!!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-03-2023 12:19
I am too pressed to look up clauses but here is an opinion.

The level lll in charge I think could review training and qualification records and examine the operator to recertify/qualify them.   If the Level lll judges further training, or a refresher is warranted they could do it and then retest.   If the Level lll exam demonstrates competence in accordance with the processes and procedures in place than the operator would be good to go.

I would certainly not be comfortable with a simple review of documentation to requalify someone who has not used the process for an extended time period...  even 6 months.   I would require a performance review.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-30-2023 18:31
Amen to that Lawrence.

Al
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / ASME SNT-TC-1A - Question on Training expiration