Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Freelance CWI
- - By illmaniac123 (*) Date 04-02-2024 13:00
I am a CWI and have worked for a previous employer as a manager of the certified weld program. I work for a new employer in a different industry but I would like to continue working as a CWI since I worked so hard to get it. Does anyone have experience working as a freelance CWI or a consultant to other businesses? Any tips on how you got started, what you do, and other advice? I live in the Midwest if that makes a difference.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-02-2024 19:59
Make sure your current employer is aware of your activities and review the code of ethics for the CWI found in QC1

Al
Parent - By twistedmetal208 (*) Date 04-02-2024 20:10
I have performed a decent amount of CWI side work. I am currently the quality assurance manager at a company full time but on weekends and after hours I perform some CWI work on occasion. Mostly I do magnetic particle and CWI visual inspection work but I have also processed some PQRs and written the PQRs up along with WPSs and WQRs for local businesses.

Depending on how much you are wanting to do while you have a primary job I would recommend going around to local shops in the area and make your presence known, let them know if they need assistance with procedure or performance qualification that you are in the area and looking for clients.

Keeping some work going is also good since that will keep your experiences current. When it comes time to re-certify you need to show continued work experience.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Freelance CWI