Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS-Oscillation
- - By sraghavan Date 12-29-2004 22:46
In welding procedure specification (WPS) in the column QW 410.7 there is term "Oscillation...2X Electrode diameter". Can any one please tell me on what that means?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-31-2004 10:09
Oscillation of the weld pool: manipulation of the electrode to create a weaving pattern of the weld pool...
In your case it means that the width of the weld pass (distance between the toes of the weld) be 2 times the diameter of the electrode being used to produce the weld.

Respectfully,
SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By sraghavan Date 12-31-2004 19:58
Thanks!!!
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 01-03-2005 03:27
Oscillation is not the same as "width of the weld bead". Oscillation is the amount of electrode movement. Say for example the weld puddle width is 1/4 inch without oscillation and a 1/8 inch diameter electrode is used that is oscillated 2x the diameter (1/4 inch). The final weld bead width would be about 1/2 inch from toe to toe. I occasionally find auditors or inspectors that believe the oscillation width is the same as bead width, but this is just not true. Oscillation is a parameter that is controlled by the welder and is not a finished dimension that can be measured.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-03-2005 10:13
Happy New Year MBSims!
After reading your interpretation of "Oscillation " I have to agree with you. I looked up the definition of oscillation in AWS A3.0:2001, and then followed up by looking up "Weaving". When you combine the two definitions, your description makes sense...

I was always told the opposite (My description) by many inspectors and presumed they were correct even though it always bothered me why my puddle was always larger than my electrode while I was welding which left me very little room to oscillate if you get my meaning... That is, unless I was GTAW sheet metal or tubing.

I have also seen some WPS's where the current/voltage ranges were too wide (GMAW, FCAW, MCAW) that there's no way that the puddle could be controlled in such a manner that you could even oscillate at all and oscillation was a parameter. This was also with the knowledge of what was the allowable max bead width (tolerances included).

In order to give this person an answer that would suit his WPS, I would think in hindsight that it might have been better if I'd ask what process and other parameters were being used before I gave him a definitive answer. I never did like the "Oscillation" parameters!!!

Respectfully,

P.S. So let me get this straight: Oscillation 2x electrode diameter would mean that the welder can oscillate 1/8" to the left, from the center of the electrode, then 1/8" to the right of the center of the electrode diameter, and we're talking about a consumable electrode? Electrode diameter is excluding the flux coating found on a SMAW electrode correct? Does this also apply to non-consumable electrodes?

Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 01-05-2005 01:32
RE: SSBN 727's P.S. Questions:

This would only be a 1X oscillation for a 1/8" diameter electrode. The oscillation width is measured center to center on the electrode. The electrode diameter is the core wire diameter, not the O.D. of the coating. I don't see why you would relate oscillation width to non-consumable electrode diameter (tungsten).
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-03-2005 13:16
Oscillation is only a variable to be controlled/recorded for machine and automatic welding .

So any auditor would have a hard time even enforcing such a rule unless it for some reason made it to a WPS.

Have a good day and I hope everyone had a nice holiday.

Gerald
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-03-2005 15:05
Gerald; I'm curious what requirement you draw your statement from?

Happy New Year all!
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-03-2005 15:35
QW-410.7 A change in width, frequency, or dwelltime of oscillation, for machine or automatic welding only.

Hope this helps

I did change the word semi automatic in my original post to automatic.

GA
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-04-2005 04:36
Hey Gerald!

Thanks for the clarification because, I always used to wonder why oscillation was even included in a manual or semi-automatic WPS, when the appropriate variable, even though not always considered one would've been to use "maximum bead width"...
Sheesh!!!

Respectfully,
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-04-2005 11:47
I think it was used because it was on the form. The "maximum bead width" is put down many times too . For ASME ,its not a listed variable. For D1.1 it is.

Have a good day

GA
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 01-05-2005 01:44
The reason you see it on some WPS's where it is not specifically required by Code is that some folks use it as an additional limit on heat input by specifying a maximum weave bead width or maximum oscillation. For notch-toughness considerations or where sensitization of austenitic stainless steels is a concern, the slow travel speeds associated with wide weaves can induce a lot of unwanted heat in the base metal. A minimum travel speed requirement and limits on maximum current/arc volts is a better way to control heat input. A limited weave width also keeps the side walls from cooling off to a point where complete fusion would be a problem, such as with GMAW short circuit transfer mode.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-05-2005 15:57
Thanks for that clarification, Gerald! Slapping myself on the head now; when I read your original post I read it as "... the ONLY variable to be..." sheesh here too!

Hope everyone's New Year celebrations were good and safe!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS-Oscillation