Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wire StickOut Distance
- - By sreenath Date 01-08-2005 19:04
1) How do we measure wire stcikout distance in GMAW process

2) Is their any method by which we can keep the wire stickout distance (fixed) constant during the weld deposition, (without undergoing self regulation process)
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-08-2005 23:18
sreenath,
The stickout is the distance from the end of the gas nozzle to the end of the wire. Setback is the distance from the end of the gas nozzle to the contact tube (which is up inside the gas nozzle), and electrode extension is the distance from the end of the contact tube to the end of the wire. Standoff is the distance from end of the gas nozzle to the work piece.

The melt off rate of the wire is governed by the current. If the wire speed is increased, the current increases. Machines have a self-regulating constant potential system in that changes in the standoff will result in a change in the arc current. For example, moving closer to the work reduces electrical resistance and burns off wire quicker.
Parent - - By sreenath Date 01-09-2005 05:51
Let me put my question in the otherway

Suppose if I want to keep the stickout to be 10mm, How do I esure that it is 10mm i.e. how do I measure the distance? Is there any standard procedures.

I also want to make sure that the wire stickout distance should not vary during the weld experiment, Then what precautions should I take
Parent - By n5uzt (**) Date 01-10-2005 03:49
stick out is messaured from the end of the contact tip to the end of the wire. change stick out and you change weld voltage, amps.
there are some nozzels that have what is called a short stop
built in like tweco 24a-62ss the nozzel will go on only so far and
is the same every time.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-10-2005 04:20
I think that the answer is build a fixture to hold the gun such that a little leg will contact the work on each side of the weld. That will hold the distance constant. However if you test that way you may have to weld that way in production.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wire StickOut Distance