Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Need advice repairing forged 1041
- - By Darvin (*) Date 02-27-2001 17:43
Hi,

I have a set of rocker arms on my 426 hemi that I need to repair because the tips are worn off. The rockers are forged 1041 and the tips were originally flame hardened.

I have quite a bit of welding experience but mostly with aluminum. Can someone please suggest how I should prep the hardened tips and what alloy filler would be best so that I can grind and re-harden the tips?

Thanks,

Darvin

Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-05-2001 19:13
So far you havn't got any answer, so I'll give you one.
You can't weld hardened SAE 1040 steel without taking some precautions. After removing the old weld by means of a grinding wheel, first thing you've got to do is to normalize the piece to get rid of the residual stresses resulting from hardening. To do this, heat it up to a temperature above 723 Celsius (called transformation temperature) preferrably into an oven or furnace (using a torch is not recommended). Maintain the piece at said temperature until you're sure that the whole metal has reached it. At this point, take the piece out from the oven or furnace and let it cool down naturally in a closed room, AWAY FROM AIR DRAFTS.
Now you can prepare it for welding, making a bevel or opening a groove, whichever is indicated in your case.
The selection of a stick electrode (or TIG rod) isn't easy. SAE 1040 is a medium carbon steel and there are few electrodes which will suit it. I'd suggest using a low chrome (1,25 percent) stick electrode of E70XX B2 classification, a ferritic structure able to be hardened. A hardfacing electrode must be also suitable, but I havn't got time now to investigate which one.
After the weld is complete, you've got to flame harden it, following the usual methods applied in this operation.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Darvin (*) Date 03-06-2001 17:12
Giovanni,

Thanks for the input.

These pieces are fairly small. The tips that need build-up are about 3/8" in diameter and the build-up needs to be about 3/16" high so it's a TIG job.

The AWS book I have makes general reference to using medium carbon Martensitic steel hard facing filler for overlay on carbon alloy base materials such as 1045.

Does that sound like the direction I should look into?

Thanks,

Darvin
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-06-2001 21:21
Yes, it does. However, I insist on normalizing the pieces before welding. The fact that they're hardened would make welding very difficult, if not impossible, regardless of their size.
Keep me aware on how the job is progressing.
Giovanni
Parent - By Darvin (*) Date 03-07-2001 14:56
OK, thank you.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 03-08-2001 04:03
Would a ER410 bare wire work OK for this?

Marty (who doesn't care to hear any more about hydrogen)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Need advice repairing forged 1041