Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Overlay for Boiler Tubing
- - By gerold (*) Date 01-28-2005 14:31
Is there anyone that has experience with Manual weld overlay of Coal- fired boiler waterwall tubing. In the past we have used Inconel 112 (ENiCrMo-3) and Inconel 122 (ENiCrMo-10) which seem to work fairly well up to this point at least. I have read an EPRI document "Durability of Weld Overlays for Waterwalls of Coal Fired Boilers" which recommends the use of Alloy 52 (Inconel 152 or ENiCrFe-7). We have localized areas in our boilers suseptible to the Tube Failure Mechanism of "Waterwall Fireside Corrosion". If anyone has used this electrode or have any other experience with others, please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Chris Gerold
Parent - By chall (***) Date 01-28-2005 16:10
Remember the old addage: "If it aint broke, don't fix it."

Charles Hall

Edit: I didn't intend for that to sound so sarcastic. I only intended to point out that you have been using a couple of decent Inconel products with good results to date. With that history I would be reluctant to change to something else without an excellent reason.

There are are many sales types out there who are interested in selling the latest & greatest. Sometimes they come back a year or two later and have something "better". It is easy to fall into the trap of throwing a lot of money at things that don't warrant the expense.
Parent - By bcouper Date 02-05-2005 03:57
Gerold,we have used inco 625 with very good results.We (Welding Technologies)Check out our web site and fee free to call.You'll want to talk to Terry Forman or Tim Yoder toll free at 1877weldtech.
Brian
Parent - By brande (***) Date 02-06-2005 07:10
Spent about a year at one location, trying many different alloys and procedures on waterwall tubes.

Went pulse and automated, still had dilution problems.

Keep in touch

brande
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Overlay for Boiler Tubing