Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Macro Digital Camera
- - By tusko Date 02-11-2005 16:30
Hi!
I'm looking to buy a good digital camera, commercial or more professional, for macro photography of my samples. I'm looking at failures and documenting welds, cracks and sample preparation techniques. What is your experience? Specifically I'm looking at something with a really good Macro lens or similar capabilities.
Thank you for your thoughts and advice.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-11-2005 22:49
There are many cameras available that will fill your needs. I just purchased an Olympus D-580 Zoom that has more features than I really need. I won't say it is the best choice because I don't know but it seems to do a good job, so far.

We used to have a Mavica 2.0 megapixel camera that did an incredibly good job of zooming in for close-ups. I could hold the camera literally 5" from the subject and get excellent image quality, and it worked well for low light situations with or without flash.

Actually, I have a 35mm Olympus that also does a good job, but it's not convenient anymore compared to digital cameras. But if you don't mind the inconvenience, I'd bet you could get some very good deals on top quality 35mm cameras.

Those are low end solutions. Others people may have better ideas for you.

Chet

Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 02-12-2005 20:34
CHG basically has noted your options. I use a digital and 2 - 35mm SLR's. One with a wide angle (28mm - 70mm) and another with a zoom (75mm - 300mm). You will find both can be usefull. Pictures of actual welding seem best with the digital although a well set-up SLR and correct film works, you have to scan afterwards.

*The digital zoom helps after the photo is in the stick (or card or whatever data storage you choose). In other words, you can electronically zoom the data. You can also electronically manipulate data much easier than scanned images. Zooming in on still photos is a crap shoot, at least for me. Has lot's to do with the scanner as well. If I remember right, get at least a 3 megapixel camera for best 8.5 x 11 results.

* Telephoto is used for those shots where I need a close up of work (e.g.: SMRF's) from the deck. Good for lazy f*3!7rs like myself and your out of the way of the tradesmen. SLR's can be much faster than digitals for any action. Primarily use these at the drag races as well. Digital too slow, DG no like...
Parent - By Sand Man (**) Date 02-13-2005 13:42
I carry an Olympus Stylus 300 in my truck. Fits in your shirt pocket.
It works great for pictures of assemblies, inside electrical controls, Components, and even family events. Jeff
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 02-13-2005 16:18
I'm not trying to sound old fashioned...... but give B&W a try. It is really nice for close up details like HAZ areas and defects. The contrast, sharpness and defination are quite different than most people imagine. (Many crime scene photographers use B&W for these reasons).

My digital has a B&W feature and in the SLR, I use a good quality low ASA B&W film. The downside is few developers offer the one hour option on B&W.

~thirdeye~
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 02-13-2005 17:22
thirdeye:
Not at all old fashion. The matallurgical engineer who does my macrophotography uses only black and white film. I use him when I need "official" macros. I am limited by the size of film he uses (3.5 x 4.5"). If I need larger images I have to scan and enlarge these. But the quality is typically so that they enlarge with lttle or no distortion. Something else for tusco to consider.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-14-2005 12:52
You have given me a few thoughts to consider with your post, and the answers you have received thus far. My pile of bent coupons is growing by leaps and bounds, pictures sure would take up less space and would be nicer to file with the paperwork too.
I know, I know, most don't bother to keep all those on file, but...
John Wright
Parent - - By tusko Date 02-14-2005 13:52
Thanks for all the great advice.

I've worked with black and white film before and agree that the contrast is unbeatable, however I'm just looking for a recording tool to show sample geometries and such.

The problem with some digital cameras is that they can't focus close up. Even in a macro mode. They range and don't do a good job. Those are the beasts I'm trying to avoid.

Normally they have a what? a 3-5X optical zoom? With a 4 to 5 megapixel camera and 10X digital zoom I'm hoping to be able to capture fracture surfaces and macro etched details. I don't know if its possible but I can dream.

Also if anyone has a horrible camera they never use, let me know. We can paint the negative with this issue as well.

Thanks again for all the great input.
Parent - By dasimonds (**) Date 02-14-2005 22:37
I have a 2 megapixel Sony that will focus as close as an inch in macro mode. If you send me your email, I will send you some examples.
Dale Simonds
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Macro Digital Camera