Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Can any one guess
- - By Dogan Culum Date 03-14-2005 12:36
Hi,

I have a picture of a machine part. Is there any one that can be able to guess what kind of welding is it?

Or

What kind of welding do we need to use for this part?

Thanks for your help.

Location of the picture : http://wnpicture.freewebpage.org/
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-14-2005 13:23

Welcome to the forum Dogan!

The pictures have a bit of glare but my guess is that the joint has been brazed. Could also be GTAW. File a little in the joint area. If the metal is soft, yellow and easily removed than it is a braze. If it files just like the parent material than it was probably GTAW.
Parent - - By Dogan Culum Date 03-14-2005 13:45
Thanks for your reply Lawrence,

We don't know the material exactly. It can be magnetized, but not the tube. They said us that it is probably 1018. But I do not know what that actually means. I guess a steel with low carbon in it.
For the welding, someone said %99 it is laser welding. I also used to think that it was laser but after I read AWS page, now I think it is not.
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 03-14-2005 18:17
Might be furnace brazed.

Parent - - By sparx (**) Date 03-15-2005 13:35
any chance of getting clearer and closer pics? my guess would be either tig or plasma weld. but without actually seeing the weld, it is anybody's guess.
Parent - - By Dogan Culum Date 03-15-2005 15:08
Right Now this is best I can but tomorrow I can go to a photographer and took really close and detailed picture of it.
As far as I understand from replies actually there is not only 1 possibility.
They first tell us that, without laser welding the tube immediately will change its shape because of its thickness. Thickness of the walls of the tube can be 0.10mm in some parts.
Also quantities like 15000-20000 must be done in a month with the process that we will choose. So, again they said you must need a CNC controlled machine.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-16-2005 09:02
The parts in the picture seem to be plated with something. Removing the plating could be informative (sandblast, etch, or even manual sandpapering could work).

The magnetic part could be 1018 (a carbon steel with relatively low carbon content). It could also be lots of other things. The non magnetic part is not carbon steel, might be stainless, or lots of other things.

I agree with the opinions above that the part appears brazed.

If I was tasked with manufacturing these I would at least look into furnace brazing. It's reasonably low tech, at least from the operators point of view, the whole part is heated and thus will probably not warp badly, and the equipment is probably cheaper than cnc.

Bill
Parent - - By Dogan Culum Date 03-16-2005 10:59
Bill,

Yes parts are plated with crome-nickel plating. I try to remove the plating, actually I manage to remove from the tube but while I was trying it, I broke part in to two from welding point. Actually joint section was suprisingly weak.

I have put the new pictures of the broken one.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-17-2005 08:32
Go back and redo your linkage to the picture. My son helped me get the picture but it required cleverness.

I'm sticking with braze. Poorly adhered to the tube. Could be that all that was actually holding this one together was the plating.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Can any one guess