Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Acetylene gauge diaphram broken
- - By jonathan oxx Date 03-15-2005 06:12
i have been using an acetylene/oxygen setup for my a couple years. the diaphram on the acetylene gauge assembly broke today. i caught it in time and did not have an accident. THE DIAPHRAM ASSEMBLY IS A VICTOR COMPRESSED GAS REGULATOR. SERIAL NUMBER 263403. IT ALSO SAYS SR6B. TO THE RIGHT
IS THIS SOMETHING I CAN FIX MYSELF?
I AM VERY HANDY WITH TOOLS AND IT LOOKS LIKE ALL I HAVE TO DO IS CLEAN OUT THE DIAPHRAM (RING) AND REPLACE IT WITH A NEW ONE.
Parent - By backpurge (*) Date 03-16-2005 08:31
Don't know about in the states but over this side of the pond carrying out your own repairs on regulators is an absolute no no.

By carrying out any repairs or modifications you would become the equipment manufacturer and as such would be liable should an accident happen.

Over here repairs can only be carried out by approved companies that have all the relevant testing equipment and expertise.

Bearing in mind a new reg is cheap I wouldn't consider the potential risk worthwhile

Cheers Bob
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-16-2005 09:13
The kit to repair it may be hard to find. Nothing too complicated inside. Work really clean.

Comments above on liability should be considered. If the building later burns down your fire insurer might balk.

Most welding supplies stores can get the repair done for you and then the liability goes to them.

Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Acetylene gauge diaphram broken