Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Need help with GTAW vertical position
- - By jim123185 Date 03-15-2005 02:40
Hi, I was looking for some answers on the best way to do a vertical GTAW weld on 1/8" to 3/16" Aluminum, fillet. Which direction should I travel? Also, is it acceptable to feed the rod from behind the puddle, for lack of a better explanation? (I guess I mean the torch does not travel towards the rod.) Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Parent - By limeynorm Date 03-19-2005 05:10
travel from bottom of the joint upwards and feed the fillerwire from the top. Watch the puddle to ensure it is fluid dip filler into the leading edge of the puddle and move up slightly; then repeat. On thin metals it may not be neccesary to weave.
Parent - By medicinehawk (**) Date 03-19-2005 09:08
Try and get your (torch)hand so that it is comfortable and do a "dry-run" to see how far you can travel before you get uncomfortable.If you set yourself up right, you can weld 6 or 8 inches (of the joint) before you have to change position. You can cheat a bit too by keeping your wire feeding hand and the rod close to the position you need to be at to feed the rod into the puddle. Travel up hill as LimeyNorm says. Set your tungsten out about 5/16 to 3/8 inches from the edge of the cup. This will allow you better visability of the puddle. You are ofcourse using a foot pedal to control the amperage so locate that where you feel good. Any welding really is about getting yourself comfortable with the position you have to be in to lay down a bead. Hope this helps.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-20-2005 15:14
Here is a little something I did to illustrate the "rocking" technique I use when GTAW welding Aluminum. http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/misc/GTAWAlumAnimation.htm After the puddle is formed, I back the torch back and away from the puddle a little and progress the wire into the leading edge. I then move forward in the direction of travel an back the wire out to keep it from balling up. I only move the wire enough to let it cool. Do not take it out of the gas shield.

I may redo the animation later but it may get the point across. The animation doesn't show the progression forward but I may modify it after I get a good way to do it.

Have a good day

Gerald Austin
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Need help with GTAW vertical position