Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SMAW IN VERTICAL POSITION
- - By chris11189 Date 03-07-2005 17:16
Hi all I am a student at dmacc community college and want to know if any one has welded vertical down outside corners. I am having a little problem with slag inclusions at starts especially with 6013 and 7018 5/32". Also I am generally inconsistant at this particular joint as well. Any advice on arc length and feed rate? I have found I like to keep a shorter arc which really doesnt work well with this joint at lower amperes as the rod just drowns out and sticks in the cooler molten pool. Also I can run 1/8 rod much more consistent and better looking than 5/32 rod where my problems seem to be the greatest. 6010 seems the best rod for me to run down hill so far ethier 1/8 or 5/32. Any comments appreciated.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-07-2005 20:10
Chris,
Even if the number 1 means "All positions", E-7018 is not suited for vertical down, and you shouldn't use it for that position.
E-6013 is, and the problems you're running into are the usual ones for all beginners. So, hold on! Keep on trying! Victory is waiting for you to wrap you in her wings!
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By whiteyford M1A1 (**) Date 03-14-2005 00:23
Hi
I'm an uphill welder and had to change for a while doing petro tanks.
There is definetly a technique to running 7018 downhand.
I assume this is in a classroom setting.
The first thing is some 7018 (like lincoln) has alot more flux on the elctrode than other manufacturers and is harder to handle. I like a little more heat than uphand and dip in and out between short and long arc allowing the flux to slough off.
As I'm writing this I'm recalling working with the smaller test plates we had at school and not realizing the dynamics of heat transfer into the limited size test plate vs real world. Keep your plates cool and develop a consistent method for handling, (alternate work between 2 or more plates).
I've witnessed hundreds of weld tests and the patient fellow that takes a little extra time and demonstrates his methods in a professional manner always gets more consideration. Be you 19 or 59.
Your learning some valuable lessons by having to experiment with applications. Practice makes pefect! good luck
Randy
Parent - - By Coastie Date 03-15-2005 17:45
Chris, I think Giovanni is right. 7018 is definatly not good for downhill. The flux gets in your way. As a matter of fact, the only rod that my book suggests you can weld downhill is a 7048. In other words, don't weld downhill. You are just fighting gravity. Tim
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 03-19-2005 03:59
Keep in mind there are entire industries where practically all welding is done downhill, such as cross country pipelines, distribution systems, pump stations, petroleum/natural gas gathering systems.
Lincoln has a very high quality line of consumables for these sectors called appropriatly "Pipeliner".

JTMcC.
Parent - - By chris11189 Date 03-19-2005 03:28
HI all and ty fer the replys ill definitely have to try quenching more i am not quenching at all now due to the way the jigs are set up in the classroom, Ill just do less work and try to concentrate on quality more. Also i can run up more consistent than down it just doesnt look as pretty and its alot slower. Also the class I am taking concetrates almost solely on down hand welding with the exceptions of t's uphand and down all other joints laps inside and outside corners all are only required downhand. Any amperage suggestions? im using 1/8 inch rod with 1/8 stock mild steel. t's up im using 75-90 down 125-150 laps 150 down inside corners down 150 outside corners down 115-125 on a lincolin idealarc. I do tend to like millers thunderbolt a bot better. Also all our arc machines share a common ground point at class, WHATS THE WORD ON THIS AFFECTING POLARITYS AND ARC BLOW? I have noticed when all spaces are full the arc blow is really bad
Parent - - By chris11189 Date 03-21-2005 19:29
Any comments on this last post of mine would be helpful. And ty
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 03-22-2005 15:10
Arc blow is very common in the classroom setting. The work leads do not even have to be on the same surface to see the arc blow problems. The more DC arcs in a common area, the more you will see this issue. If you can, move your work lead to the fixture your working on, and wrap it in a few small circles around the base or leg of the fixture stand, then clamp it right on your workpeice. This will help the magnetic field that is formed by the DC arc. If you have the ability to run AC rod, switch over to AC and arc blow will be eliminated. Changing to AC will however have a major change on your welding arc.
Good Luck
Parent - By limeynorm Date 04-01-2005 23:35
the e-7018 is not recommended for vertical down the slag runs in front of you and results in slag inclusions etc. A 6012 is better than 6013 for downhill if you have acces to the rod. Also a 6010 works well for vertical down and is easier to run down than up.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / SMAW IN VERTICAL POSITION