Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller 175
- - By awevans09 (*) Date 04-05-2005 19:19
What do you think about the miller 175? I will be using it for automotive and light fab purposes.
Parent - By welderman (*) Date 06-22-2005 08:04
hi awevans09, I have a Miller #175 on my truck to use on the truck or carry off into the job, I have 125 ft. of 8ga/3 conductor extension cord,
can run it off of my Miller 301-G or plug in to their box. A month ago I worked in a wood mill, building some conveyors and their voltage was 208/277, 460/480 single and 3 ph. I ran my 175 on 208vac and it worked
great, I saw no drop in performance from 230vac. I called Miller and asked them what would happen on 208 they said maybe. lower output but no harm to the machine, I like the unitfor light to medium production.
William.
Parent - By ty1220 Date 07-09-2005 02:40
Hi Awe, I bought a MM 175 about 2 weeks ago and love it. I am a novice welder, I bought a cheap Lincoln Quick Weld 2 months or so ago to start on and it was fun but underpowered for heavier metal and no option for welding with gas. I have some problems with wire feed consistency on the little one too. The weldors at work told me there was a heck of a difference between the 110 V machines and a 220V one and they were right. I helped my brother build racks for his truck and am working on a welding table currently. Next project is a wood splitter. We mostly are working with 1/8th sized tubing and round pipe but we do some 1/4 inch and thicker metal as well. I have yet to have to turn the 175 up over 4 on the voltage setting. ( Not saying my welds are structurally great but they have been ok) And in places where I am just setting with the little welder trying to build up metal I put the 175 on it and it fills it in right quick. Also the infinite voltage settings beat the heck out of my little welders 4 heat range switches . I realize as a novice I am not giving you all kinds of tech talk or in depth reasons for loving the 175, just speaking as a beginner who is really impressed with this welder. As most of the guys say buy as big of a unit as you can afford, well this was it for me and it has been great learning on. Good luck with your welding/
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller 175