Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / New certified welder
- - By jay72chevy (*) Date 04-06-2005 05:23
I recently graduated a welding school. I read the papers and there is lots of information on it that i dont understand cause i am not a CWI. My friend said i got ripped off. He said they should have gave me the D.15 test. Naturally through the school they give the 1" plate D1.1. On my Laboratory test report it says smaw -1 3 G uphill. I can understand all that. The Material specification: A-36 to A-36. Material I guess Metal. Whats A-36? In the guided bends or fillet weld test it says side bend per figure 4.13 passed. Whats 4.13? Then second page where it says Visual inspection (4.8.1)? Acceptable yes X? Guided bend test result (4.30.5)? Fillet weld test result (4.30.2.3,4.30.4.1)?? I thought 3g ment pipe? and f3 is plate? I did have classes on saftey defects, metals, process, j design, blue print reading, I+WQ, NDEand recieved B's. I am all mixed up now.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-06-2005 13:19
"Whats A-36?"
A36 is a material specification for mild steel, there are many grades of materials, A36 is one that means the formulation of this steel meets or exceeds the requirements for the A36 specification.

"Whats 4.13?"
This is a picture or drawing in the D1.1 structural welding code book that explains what a side bend specimen is and gives dimensions for the sample depending on several things.

"Then second page where it says Visual inspection (4.8.1)?"
This is a paragraph out of the code book that gives the Visual Acceptance Criteria for the Welding Procedure.

"Guided bend test result (4.30.5)?"
This refrences paragraph 4.8.3.3 for the Visual Acceptance Criteria for the Welder.

"Fillet weld test result (4.30.2.3,4.30.4.1)??"
If you had taken a fillet weld test, the results would be written here.

"I thought 3g ment pipe? and f3 is plate?"
The 3G means you took a Vertical Groove plate test with a upward progression, the 3F would be relevant if you had taken a Vertical Fillet weld test with an upward progression.

There are two types of welds [speaking in very general terms here]
Fillet welds and Groove welds, although there are many configurations of groove welds.

Hope this helps, don't hesitate to ask more questions if you are still confused.
John Wright
Parent - - By jay72chevy (*) Date 04-07-2005 03:14
My friend is cetified in welding and he said he took the D.1.5 test. I took the D.1.1. He said i got ripped off. I dont know if i did. Did I? He works at a cryogenics i guess for air products. I dunno i guess he makes alot. I also took Fcaw verticle v grove with backup upward. Smaw verticle, overhead v groove upward with back up. Was it a waste of time to go to school? Where do i stand for a job now? Is those test in demand? Where do i range in taking those test for a job? I worked hard at the school for a year. I did Tig welding in all positions steel, and pipe, and aluminum.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-07-2005 04:37
I'm not a code guy but I'll speak anyway. D1.1 is structural steel (mostly buildings). D1.5 is bridges. Lots more steel goes into buildings than bridges so I will go far enough out on a limb to say that your school acted in a reasonable way. If your friend is working on cryogenics he isn't welding to the code he tested to (if it was bridges) either.

I assume you also passed the other tests you mention. In a job interview that's the word you should use (I also passed...).

Are you near the school? If so go and have someone there explain the lab reports to you. Have someone coach you on interviewing for a job.

The tests you describe are not trivial and indicate that you have proficiency as a welder. When you interview be confident but not cocky. Show what you have done, ask what the job requires. Expect that if offered a job you will be required to test again but keep in mind that if offered a job you have already convinced the interviewer that you are capable of passing the test and you most probably will.

Good luck
Bill
Parent - By jay72chevy (*) Date 04-07-2005 04:49
Thank you. Yes i also passed the other test. Ill keep asking any questions i might have you have been a great help. Im new to this forum. I think it is a good way to learn in this trade. I know alot about Auto body. I am still learning in it also. I went to tech for it. My friend said if you take the bridge test you also are acredit for buildings. For His job they tested him. I guess he passed.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-07-2005 11:31
jay72,
"Was it a waste of time to go to school?"
No, anytime you can show your employer that you have had formal training, it can only help you. Experience can only help you land a job.
Bill has covered most of your questions very well, but I will add that when anybody comes to my shop (I work as the Quality Control manager for a Structural Steel fabricator for buildings, remember what Bill said about AWS D1.1?) with lots of paper in their hand, I will still test them again. This is so that I can place the results of that test(s) on our letterhead and it carries more weight and creates less questions when I have to submit all of our welder's certs to a customer for approval when they award us a job.
John Wright
Parent - - By grboggs22 Date 04-16-2005 21:36
hello john,my husband just passed his cwi.we live in riverside county and dont know where to start looking for work. can you give us some help? thank you
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-18-2005 12:36
You have mail. :)
Parent - By Inspectroleum (*) Date 04-10-2005 01:43
Hello jay72chevy,

As you see, there is much to learn in the field of welding other than just making a nice weld. I work in the petrochemical industry as an inspector at an oil refinery. We make and inspect thousands of welds a year (mainly piping and ASME pressure vessel welds). We answer many questions such as yours daily, I have always been a person that has craved knowledge and the welding/inspection field is relatively unlimited in that respect.

I am glad to see you are asking questions about material specs, weld position, etc. Tell your friend the knowledge and skill you gained by testing is not measured in dollars, as time passes you will be able to use your knowledge “bank” and realize that the cost of a test is nothing compared to the learning and experience gained.

I hope that you continue your testing and schooling and good luck in the future.
Parent - By labtechy (*) Date 05-10-2005 20:07
You have gotten a lot of good info from these people. As you found out there is much more to welding than sticking two pieces of metal together. The internet is full of help. I sugest you learn as much as you can about the processes, the terminology and applications. I've been around welding since 1978 and I can honestly say I'm still learning. Not a day goes by when I don't pick up something. Good luck on your future.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / New certified welder