Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.5 compared to D1.1
- - By sbruno (*) Date 04-05-2005 20:55
If all the parameters and variables are the same can you use a previously qualified PQR from D1.1 for use as D1.5 PQR? If so how can you submit to engineer?

#2. Is there anyone that has or sells PQR's for D1.5 WPS per Para 5.7.3 D1.5 (2002)?
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 04-05-2005 21:32
sbruno:
You cannot "buy" qualifications. D1.1:2004, 4.1.1.1 and D1.5:2002, 5.2 both require that each contractor is responsible for their own qualifications. This has been tried before here and I rejected every record submitted by one contractor.

I write WPS's/PQR's/WQPQR's for a living, you will have a tough time trying to pull that one off. And don't forget D1.5 has a duration limit of 60 months whcih also applies to WPS qualification (D1.5:2003, 5.3).

Have you ever performed work to D1.5 before?
Parent - - By sbruno (*) Date 04-05-2005 22:04
According to AWS D1.5 Sec.5.7.3 It states " That A Verification Test (Fig. 5.2) is all that would need to be done. This tells me that I can use an outside service as long as I perform the verification test. True or False?

Yes we have performed D1.5 work in the past, But being that I was just hired by this company I could not find ANY D1.5 PQR's or WPS's that this company has performed in the past.

If you know of any info that would help please let me know.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-07-2005 16:34
I assume that you are not talking about SMAW here? That is exempt from PQR testing but you need to fully comply with all of D1.5.

You can run the verification test and skip the Figure 5.1 test, but you will need to have a copy of the original PQR, and will have to run the same parameters.
The test plate must meet the same material specifications.
The brand and type of electrode (and flux, if applicable) must be the same. And the list goes on.

If you intend to write fillet weld WPSs based on the PQR, you might want to make sure you can actually make good welds while staying within the amps, volts, travel, AND heat input ranges. That is often overlooked.

The verification test calls for 5 CVN samples, the AWMT test and 2 side bends. The additional specimens the Fig 5.1 PQR test are only 2 more side bends, 2 reduced section tensile specimens, and 3 macroetches. Side bends and macroetches are not so expensive compared to the other specimens, so the real additional costs are for 2 RST's. Since there is not that much difference in the requirements, you might find it more cost effective to develop your own Fig. 5.1 PQR, rather than verifying someone else's. If the other party's PQR does not fully fit the welding you intend to do, you will have wasted your time & money.

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By sbruno (*) Date 04-07-2005 17:02
We will need to run Figure 5.1 test for both FCAW and SAW. You are absoluetly correct, After investigating the time, cost and effort to perform a verification test on a previously certified PQR, it benefits us more to just run our own. If I am reading this (D1.5:2002) right we can either certifiy through 5.12 or 5.13. After reading both I feel it would be easier to go the 5.12 route, what is your opinion? Our shop has approx. 112 welder operators and more than enough experience. We are AISC certified for complex steel buildings, Major Bridge and Sophisticated Paint (enclosed). We are planning on getting our Fracture Critical endorsment at our next annual audit, All that said......With the exception of SMAW all welding per D1.5 will have to have a PQR with each WPS. Is that correct or am I reading it wrong. Sorry for all the questions, I am new to D1.5 and the previous QA manager left no information about past D1.5 certifications. One more question, if our PQR for FCAW is done in the 3g position, does that cover us for Fillet welds or will we have to complete a separate PQR? Thank you for all your help.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-08-2005 16:37
I've always run the 5.13 PQRs. Mostly because that allows a range as indicated per table 5.3 and has fit the majority of our welding. However, you will note that Table 5.3 has tighter limitations than it appears. As an example, if you run maximum volts and amps with minimum travel speed, you will far exceed the heat input limits. With max - min heat input test under 5.12, you can broaden out the allowable range. It all depends on how much variability you need for the work you do. Also take note of Table 5.2 for other info.

I'm not sure if I understand the PQR/WPS question, so bear with me. A PQR can support as many WPS's as you want, as long as the WPS is within the PQR's essential variables, and the PQR is stil valid. D1.5 PQRs are valid for 60 months for non fracture critical welding and 36 months for FC. Double check Section 12 for other particulars that you will want to be aware of for FC work.

As for a PQR in the 3G postion, notice Section 5.8. It essentially says that a 3G PQR will only qualify vertical grooves and fillets. You will also need a 1G PQR for flat and horizontal grooves and fillets, and a 4G PQR if you need to do overhead welding. It is not like the welder's 3G test where flat and horizontal positions are qualified by vertical tests, so be careful there.

You might want to go through D1.5 section by section and highlight the book, while writing on a note pad what you understand each section (that pertains to PQR's) to mean. I have done a lot of D1.5 testing and have learned that if I don't thoroughly review the code each time, I could be headed for problems.

Hope that helps.

Chet
Parent - By sbruno (*) Date 04-08-2005 18:30
Chet,

Thank you for the information and suggestions, I'm sure I will have more questions after reading D1.5. Your help has proven to be very educational and exactly what I needed.

Thank you again,

Sam
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 05-02-2005 21:57
In answer to one of your questions, no, you don't need a separate PQR for fillet welding, but you do need to run a fillet weld soundness test per 5.10.3.

How long ago did your company get the Major Bridge certification? I can't believe you would have passed a recent audit with none of those on file. Or did your predecessor burn everything when he went?

Hg
Parent - By sbruno (*) Date 05-09-2005 17:11
Hg,

Sorry it has taken time to reply, I've been out. We have had Major Bridge certification for the past 5 years. As far as how my predecessor got through those audits is beyond me. I have gone ahead and completed two PQR's that will cover numorous WPS's. I am a little afraid of what I might run up against if I continue to run as they have done in the past. Thank you for your help.

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / D1.5 compared to D1.1