Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / non coated coper tig rod for steel?
- - By speedy8084 (*) Date 04-22-2005 02:34
I have a book by Richard Finch called "Welder's Handbook". In this book he talks about buying only non copper coated rod such as welco w-1200
I have 2 other books that speak nothing of this...I know of the dangers of copper fumes....but my local supply store can only come up with copper coated rod. I just remove th coating as I use it...Any ideas out there?
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 04-22-2005 03:12
Speedy, that coating on the tig rod is there for a reason. That's what we call silcon coating, it helps to control the weld puddle in GTAW. The only thing we do is wipe the rod with acetone using clean rag. This helps get rid of the oils that are there from when the product was manufactured. Never use sand paper or anything abrasive to clean tig rods.
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 04-25-2005 23:20
Why never use sand paper on ER70s-2 wire?
Parent - - By H. Chang (*) Date 04-22-2005 08:49
As an example, with reference to SFA-5.18, it does allow total of 0.5% max. Cu be coated or in the filler metal(see note d), we never do any thing to the Cu coated at the external surface of the tig rod, as I understand that this coated cu is used for the purpose of corrosion protection, since practically that nobody will use a quiver or oven to bake the tig rod after the rod been issued from the warehouse for use, in our experience of manufacturering boilers and pressure vessels for over 20 years, these kind of tig rods have been used for tons to weld the pressure part and nonpressure part, no problem at all when it is used to weld plain carbon steels, low alloy steels(P-No. 3, 4, 5A), if there is a special concern must be a special metal, which I don't know what kind of metal it is, not in the field that I'm familiar with.
kind regards
H.Chang
Parent - By jerrykroll (**) Date 04-22-2005 14:42
Have always used and had no problem with ER70S-2 which are copper coated. Also used to use RG65 (also used as gas welding wire)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / non coated coper tig rod for steel?