Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIG Welding question.....
- - By torchy Date 04-11-2004 04:00
Hi, I'm new to this forum and metal working in general. I want to buy a simple mig welding setup soon, and have no idea what is the best brand of welder to buy for my money. I'd like to spend no more than $500 on a welder, and helmet, gloves, etc.

Also, do I need gas, or can I just use flux core?

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Torchy
Parent - - By Mike W (**) Date 04-11-2004 09:22
Do not buy a off brand welder. With your budget I would get a arc welder and a oxy/act rig. I had the same for years and then got a mig and a tig. I used the arc welder down to 1/8 metal and the oxy/act for thinner metal.
Parent - - By torchy Date 04-11-2004 19:31
What are some brands to avoid, and others that are good brands?
Parent - - By Mike W (**) Date 04-12-2004 06:26
I am partial to Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln. Visit a welding supply and notice what spare parts are on the shelves. Sometimes you can get a deal where you put down 25% and pay the rest over time. If you get a mig, go with a gas setup. I use plain CO2.
Parent - By cutter220 (*) Date 04-13-2004 04:09
you can't weld much with a mig welder under 500 dollars.for 500 dollars you might get a used 135 amp mig welder with just machine.then you will need bottle,gloves,helmet,flowmeter,and other $$ things necessary.best is to get like the other guy said an arc welder and a oxy/acetylene cutting rig.i on the other hand have too many tools to mention although i will tell you that i have a miller dialarc stick welder,thunderbolt ac/dc,lincoln ac 225 buzzbox,lincoln classic diesel,miller legend,and a new miller bobcat 250nt.i also just use oxygen propane but i have many acetylene cylinders for heating,bending,brazing,and welding.
Parent - By speedy8084 (*) Date 04-21-2005 04:13
No harbor freight...or firepower...
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 04-22-2005 02:41
Miller makes a really nice 115v machine millermatic 135.
Parent - By Sand Man (**) Date 04-23-2005 00:32
Look around for a used machine. They can be found and can get you into a good welder without going broke. Talk to some dealers and see what's out there.
Jeff
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIG Welding question.....