Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / weld preps on drawings
- - By jbrotzman (*) Date 04-28-2005 14:28
Simple question. Is it general practice to depict a weld prep on a part detail explicitly (i.e., show chamfered edges on parts joined by a groove weld) or to indicate the weld with a welding symbol only? Is this covered by AWS?

I'm trying to establish company standards and to find out what AWS and industry professionals consider standard. Drawing the features of the joint makes little sense to me since the welding symbol has all the requisite information, but I'd like to establish what others think and what the code specifies.
Parent - By jfwi (*) Date 04-28-2005 23:02
I am not sure what the codes will say, but I agree it does seem redundant to show the joint detail when the symbol gives the same and often more information. I have seen on a couple of project when the details will have both. Just FYI.

Jerry
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-29-2005 04:18
I would agree with jfwi in that a proper welding symbol does contain all of the necessary information to produce the required joint. However, I often see drawings that are not "user friendly" for shop personnel and cause confusion and wasted time on the shop floor. In other words, shop drawings should be easy to interpret.

One of my clients, for example, has a series of joint details in little boxes across the bottom of their drawings, each with a specific number. The number appears in the tail of the welding symbol if the fitter or welder needs further clairification. Also, 99% of all fillet welds on their drawings are shown with arrow side weld symbols. This means a little more work in the drafting department adding additional symbols, but saves time on the floor.

JUst my .02,

~thirdeye~
Parent - By H. Chang (*) Date 04-29-2005 09:08
The ASME boliers and pressure vessels code does not address this, it allows the manufacturer to decide what kind of joint preparation is the one that most suitable to their equipment/capabilities, same logical idea shall applies to the drawing.
Practically in many cases, it works both ways, if the tolerances is not a issue. But a drawing to show a detail joint preparation, and the welding sizes, will be the best choice in some particular case, if you don't know who is the one that will review your drawings, especially when he/she is the one who cares about the tolerances, and think it "must be addressed" on the joint, and also you may have a chance to meet one that insist you must at least specified in the note that all of the sizes of the fillet weld shown on the drawing is the "minimum value".
But if you can be sure that there is no chance to meet those people like I said, the welding symbol will be just fine.
kind regards
H.Chang
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-29-2005 11:52
http://aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?id=6993

John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / weld preps on drawings