Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cleaning Stainless Weld
- - By stucktorch Date 04-27-2005 21:45
I'm welding a tank of 304, using 1 1/2% lanthaned with 308L filler rod and argon shield. I have what looks like carbon deposits after my welding, even in the areas where I'm only fusing the metal and not deposited any filler rod.
Grinding is not on option on this parts, how do I clean this part up. I've read about a "pickling paste" although I don't see where it can me purchased. We have an anodizing facility and can electropolish it, but cost prohibits me from doing this. I'm looking for any other ideas.

Note: not concerned about the backside of the weld.

thanks
Parent - - By - Date 04-27-2005 23:41
you are right about the pickling paste. That will clean up the areas just fine for you. You can find the pickling paste at most of your welding supply stores. If you need more information on pickling paste and how to apply it, you may e-mail me at chuck.meadows@outokumpu.com

I can then direct you to where you can find it. Be careful because there are some chemical manufacturers that make what they call "pickling paste" but it does not work too well.

Chuck
Parent - - By Bill Mc (**) Date 04-28-2005 20:23
Hello Chuck,

I am also interested in your source for pickling paste....as I might be using the stuff that doesn't work too well.

Thanks-
Parent - By - Date 04-28-2005 21:08
Hi Bill,
If you would, please e-mail me so I can send you some information on the pickling material. Depending on where you are, I might can suggest a source to buy some, but e-mail me so we can discuss this. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

chuck.meadows@outokumpu.com

I'm the Welding Engineer for Avesta Welding Products (stainless steel producer of stainless steel welding concumables)

Chuck
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 04-29-2005 12:34
Avesta has good pickling and passivating products, as well as precleaning and neutralizing solutions.

They are very supportive. Their website is a might difficult to navigate, but it's worth the effort:

http://www.avestafinishing.com/default____10161.aspx

Charles

ps. It just occured to me that Chuck must work for Avesta....
Parent - - By - Date 04-29-2005 12:53
Mr. Hall,
Very good observation !!! <smile> I definitely work for Avesta Weldiing Products as their Welding Engineer. You are totally right about the pickling products. We have a $20 million R&D facility in Malmo, Sweden strictly for the production of the pickling products. I don't want this to sound like an advertisement for Avesta, but what you said is absolutely true. Thank you.

Chuck
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 04-29-2005 13:07
Our representative is Ron Stahura. He is an excellent resource and a pleasure to work with. He's been providing tech assist on a stainless monument we are building.

Suffice to say, from base metal to filler metal and finishing activities, you guys have the market cornered.

We have a milestone review next Thursday with our client and I can tell you I'm nervous. Nothing less than 98% perfection is acceptable. It's a tall order for joining and finishing 3/4" stainless plate for public viewing in our Nation's Capital.

Charles
Parent - By - Date 04-29-2005 15:01
Charles,
How ironic. Ron was just down here in Dallas and stayed at mine and my wife's house duing the AWS Conference in which I presented a technical paper. Ron is a close friend and a collegue. I have also been involved in the monument as has TMR (Technical Marketing Resources) Yes, Ron and I are both employed with Avesta in the same capacity. Small world, huh? To you, continued good luck on this very highly visible endeavor.

Chuck
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cleaning Stainless Weld