Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld Joint
- - By - Date 05-05-2005 13:11
We weld tanks that are filled with oil but are not under significant pressure. Our greatest concern is having leak free welds. In the joint design of this tank we have a butt joint in .105 mild steel with a gap is .030". A question came up as to what the ideal gap would be. Our welders are satisfied with this gap and feel that the gap allows for good penetration. Our current fabrication process will not allow a smaller gap due to the process variation so we would have to change the process to go lower.

What is the ideal gap to weld a leak proof weld in this situation? Or, where can I find information on this?

Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-05-2005 21:59
If I am reading your post right you are fabricating & welding oil tanks; not working on tanks that have oil in them while welding?

Without trying to be a smart aleck, my first thought is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". On the surface, it doesn't sound like there is any problem, especially if your customers have been happy with your tanks and if you are making a decent profit.

But there is always room for improvement. I'd say first of all to check the welding code (UL-80?)you are working with to see what allowances, or essential variables, that you need to stay within. Then I would do a little experimenting to see if improvements can be made and what the real gains will be. Salesmen can provide a good bit of insight on what is on the market that might help with improvements (and naturally they want you to spend your money). You may find that a new cutting machine or welding machine will pay for itself by allowing better process control.
But it is also a good possibility that your process and methods are fine as they are.

Chet Guilford

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld Joint