Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MS electrodes on High tensile plates.
- - By jac Date 05-09-2005 06:28
Can 6013 electrodes be used to build up pittings /grooves on high tensile plates;if no what are the possible consequences?
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 05-09-2005 10:27
6013 is a good all purpose, general repair electrode, but since you didn't mention the material grade, you might want to consider whether the 60,000 psi tensile strength of 6013 at least equals that of your base material. If you're under contract, you might want to check the specifications to see whether 60 series electrodes are permitted. In my line of work, I've never seen anything less than 70 series permitted. Depending on material thickness and grade, you might want to preheat before welding. Low hydrogen electrodes may also be required depending on the material grade.
Parent - - By jac Date 05-09-2005 11:15
Norris,
Strengthwise, I agree taht 6013electrodes, should not be considered, suitable on High tensile steel (,(64-85kps)welding. i was hoping to get some feedback, on the likely consequences( eg. underbead cracking), where such practice has already been attempted, and gone into erection.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-09-2005 14:03
What is the ASTM specification for the material?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MS electrodes on High tensile plates.