Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Penetration
- - By michelle (*) Date 05-10-2005 18:06
We have a gun mount that was welded supposedely per AWS D1.1, but the government has said that there is issues with the welding- they say there was not enough penetration on the welds. Is there, and if so where, is the weld penetration called out in the D1.1? The plate is 1/4" thick A36 steel. The company that did the testing on it did an etch test and the welds looked good to us.
Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 05-10-2005 18:47
"The company that did the testing on it did an etch test and the welds looked good to us."

Assuming this is a PJP groove weld;
The depth of penetration complies with the D1.1 minimum effective throat (E) or minimum design requirements?

Assuming this is a CJP groove weld;
The joint has complete penetration as defined by the code and there is thorough fusion at the joint root?

Assuming this is a fillet weld;
You have the minimum required effective throat?

You need to provide the Forum with more info to help.

Parent - - By michelle (*) Date 05-10-2005 18:57
I am not really sure how to effectively describe the situation of the welding. There are numerous pieces that were welded together on this mount. Is there any way I could show you a picture? I think that might be the easiest if you don't mind having a gander at it.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2005 19:01
Michelle,
The forum won't allow insertion of pictures, but if you had a place on the web to host your picture, you can provide a link to the picture and we could all take a peek at your situation.
John Wright

Similar to this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/jwright650/test.jpg
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 05-10-2005 19:03
Thanks John.
Parent - - By michelle (*) Date 05-10-2005 19:07
the picture of the part itself is on our website at www.roadrunner-tech.com. I will work on getting the welding symbols for you. Thanks you guys!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2005 19:10
That is even better! Simply open the picture on your browser and copy the addy, then paste it in your post. This should work, provided we don't need passwords to view it.
John Wright
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2005 19:08
http://photobucket.com

This is a free place to host pics, but it is limited to file size of 250KB or less.
John Wright
Parent - - By michelle (*) Date 05-10-2005 19:15
you won't need a password for the website- go to recent projects and you will see the gun mount on its welding fixture. I just signed up with photobucket so I can try and do the weld symbols for you- obviously I can not show you the blueprint, but hopefully you can make out the symbols.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2005 19:22
Here ya go....

Pic#1 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/jwright650/gunmount.jpg

Pic#2 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/jwright650/accessfixture.jpg

You'll have to describe what joints you are talking about.
John Wright
Parent - - By michelle (*) Date 05-10-2005 19:31
okay I am working on getting the blueprint okay for public viewing as well as what the testing company showed us. Is PDF okay?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2005 19:36
I'm trying to figure out how to fool the photobucket into thinking a pdf is a picture. I think you can rename the file to a jpg extension and then I can download the file to my hard drive and rename it back to a pdf to view the file. I'm not 100% sure that will work but you could try and see.
John Wright

Anyone else have a better plan for this, I'm all ears :)

Michelle, I tried this and it didn't work, photobucket detected that the file wasn't the correct format even with the jpg extension :(
Parent - - By michelle (*) Date 05-10-2005 19:43
I just e-mailed Daniel the pdf's of the pictures and parts of the print with the welding symbols. I guess we wait and see if he gets them. If not we can try the jpeg route -k-

Thank you so much!!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2005 19:45
Once you get your question answered to your satisfaction, I will delete those pictures off my site.
John Wright
Parent - - By michelle (*) Date 05-10-2005 19:57
Thanks John your help is greatly appreciated. I believe I am going to head out to lunch, but I will check my e-mail after I get back and see if Daniel has received the e-mail. If not, maybe I can send it to you somehow.

Thanks again!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2005 20:03
You may have to try to email DGXL if you need an answer today, He is on the same coast as you(assuming from your statment about heading out to lunch). It is time to go home for me (after 4:00pm), so I won't be able to answer anymore questions after 4:30pm, until tomorrow at 7:00am(Eastern).
John Wright
Parent - - By michelle (*) Date 05-10-2005 21:00
I just got an e-mail from Daniel and I'm going to give him a call. Got my fingers crossed :) Thanks for all the help - I will let you know what happens
Parent - By michelle (*) Date 05-10-2005 21:40
Okay! I got the help I needed from DGXL- and thank goodness for him! I am not on the right track and have a good road ahead to follow. I will post later when I find out how this all comes out. (I have my fingers crossed!)

Thank you all and Especially DGXL (even though he wants me to get a ford...)

:)

Michelle
Parent - By Slagindaboot (*) Date 05-12-2005 00:10
This might be a little late and I know that there's probably an easier way but this should work. Open your pdf file. Hit the "print screen" key, then open paint, click "edit", then "paste". Now click "file", "save as", then select the graphic file type that you want to use. If your entire pdf isn't displayed when you hit "print screen" it will only copy that portion that is...along with everything else such as your toolbars and buttons.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Penetration