Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Can you weld a copper plate to a brick??
- - By Rob Weiss Date 05-09-2005 11:14
A question for an investigation I am carrying out at the moment. I would be very grateful if anybody could help me out.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-09-2005 12:12
My simple reply is No a piece of copper and a brick cannot be joined as defined by the term "welding".
John Wright
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-09-2005 14:27
You can't weld them, but you can stick them together. Will it do?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By mksqc (**) Date 05-09-2005 15:21
JB WELD! Itll always work!
Parent - - By mksqc (**) Date 05-09-2005 15:48
if you cant melt it you cant weld it.If this is an incorect statement I would like to get a responce. Thank you.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-09-2005 17:42
I believe that covers the concept pretty well. :)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-09-2005 18:12
Copper melts somewhere between 1590F and 2260F depending on the alloy.
A brick melts at ...., well, I'm not really sure how hot you need to get a brick before it melts, but I'm guessing it is alot hotter than the copper needs to be to melt.
John Wright
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-09-2005 18:53
I'm not quite certain how to respond to this. The Welding Journal has had articles in the past talking about advances in joining technology, one case I remember in particular was that of welding (joining) a cast iron member to a piece of glass. It's my best guess that someone probably has a method for joining copper to brick, albeit probably not in terms most of us would readily understand. Interesting concept, I wonder what the end use might be?
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-09-2005 21:27
This statement would be correct most of the time, but not all. There are several solid-state welding processes, such as diffusion welding, friction welding, and friction-stir welding.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-10-2005 00:46
And, there are quite a few things that you can melt, but still cant weld worth a hoot.

JTMcC.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-10-2005 10:51
Rob,
Before that question can be answered, more information needs to be provided about the brick itself. Brick comes in several thicknesses. What is the nominal thickness of the brick? Is it red fired clay, fly ash, or clay? Is it soft brick, common brick, or pressed brick? Is it solid, semi-solid, or hollow? Also, in order to get remotely close in estimating its melting point, what is the fire rating of the brick? John indicated the melting point of copper. I'd think that brick would have to at least reach that point to fuse properly with the copper. However, the single most controlling factor in determining weldability is the color of the brick. Of course at this point ya'll should realize that I'm just kidding. Interesting question though. I can't see how it could be welded, or why any of the other processes used to "join" brick to other materials wouldn't work.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-10-2005 11:19
JTMcC,
Aluminum and steel are two that come to mind.
John Wright
Parent - By Blacksheep Date 05-11-2005 00:28
I work for a brick yard so I thought I would try to help with the melting brick part. Our Kilns run at approximately 1890 degree's fahrenheit to cook the brick. I have seen them "melt" (and I use that term loosly since im not sure it is in the true form of a melt) when the kiln sits to long. They look more to be crystalized but they do droop like they were melted and are black as coal but feel and break like glass. Hope this helps.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-11-2005 06:44
A stretch here but is "brazing" close enough? You can glaze a brick. You can also glaze copper, called enameling then but a common summer camp craft project. I believe the glazes are probably somewhat different but I doubt that they differ in any really significant way. Thus- if you take your brick, put on a layer of powdered glaze (chemistry unresolved but the stuff used for copper enameling would most likely work) and then put your copper on top of that. Put this into an oven and heat above the melting point of the glaze and you will have essentially furnace brazed your copper to the brick using a glass filler. Not really welding since neither material has been melted but a kindred process.
Bill
Parent - By Plasma56 (**) Date 05-11-2005 20:05
Hey Rob, it's Noel here, if this is the right Rob... email me back to say hello eh.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 05-11-2005 22:31
I just gotta ask--what are you trying to do?

Hg
Parent - By mometal77 (*) Date 05-14-2005 01:44
I know it’s off subject I just remember reading in a history book how the Romans melted brass into dice for rolling it took about eight hours to make one with the old leather blower. And they used brick also saw a video on this pretty cool. Just like how you can use a million dollars worth of electricity to make what an ounce of gold this is how chemistry got started with kings asking there scientists can u make gold out of coal ect lol.. And then there was metallurgy and welding.. Good luck looks on google.
Bob
Parent - By - Date 06-01-2005 23:35
Yes you can weld copper to a brick... simple - heat brick slowly to a uniform temperature is reached, and it's starting to go a little soft.

Get copper bar and hear uniformly untill it too is getting a little soft, and then fusion weld the two together at the joint faces with an oxy acetlyene flame....

Allow the brick and sundry to cool VERY VERY slowly

Simple.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Can you weld a copper plate to a brick??