Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / painting gates and fence
- - By rm Date 05-15-2005 16:07
I have started making some driveway gates, and fences in my shop. has anyone used a dipping vat? If so, did you have any bad runs with the paint? I am looking at spraying vs. dipping. I would really like to powder coat, but the oven systems are a little expensive. Thanks for any help.
Parent - - By pjseaman (**) Date 05-15-2005 16:40
Dipping will always have a certain amount of drip and run, and power coat is expensive. Spraying is the best option, cover the machinery overspray gets everywhere.

Good luck,
Parent - By michelle (*) Date 05-15-2005 19:13
Just thought I would mention that whatever you go with make sure to look into the osha regs and stuff for your city/town- we helped a company put up a spray booth and let me tell you it wasn't as easy as just putting it up and saying it looked good :)
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-16-2005 00:05
Dip coating is usually used for high volume, automated systems that have a high level of control. You would likely use a lot of paint compared to the surface area that is coated.
I think you will find that spraying is the most economical method; at least for the short term, until you grow to a high volume of business. Spraying has the capability of high quality work with simple setup requirements.

I recommend that you talk with a paint company rep for more information on what coatings and application methods would make the most sense for you.

Chet Guilford

Parent - By t-chek Date 05-16-2005 09:14
I agree with Chet, spraying is very economical until you get into high volumes or plating. We used to make aircraft assembly support equipment and we sprayed everything. I do not know if you are already set up for spraying, but check into air quality control and containment systems. Some places are more strict in these areas.

Good luck with whatever process you choose.
Parent - - By jimwelds (**) Date 05-16-2005 02:47
how about magnetic paint spraying. it doesn"t have over spray.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-16-2005 22:29
By 'magnetic' do you mean electrostatic spraying? That method is nice but it too has a fairly high price tag for the equipment. Not to mention that improper use can cause nice long sparks in an environment loaded with volatile organic compounds. (This is not to keep anyone from using electrostatic spraying - just make sure to follow directions.)

But that the method can reduce, not eliminate, a good deal of overspray. Another minus is that internal corners may not get enough coverage, but a big plus is that outside corners will (Faraday effect).
So by all means, if the work volume will pay for it, that is another altrnative.

CG
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-17-2005 11:21
I vote for an airless spray system, we pump many many gallons through paint hoses everyday and it makes sense for us. Keeping good tips in the guns will ensure good coverage without alot of overspray or waste in drips. We paint beams and columns which for the most part have more surface area than a gate or fence would, so you will have more paint in the air/on the ground than we would on average.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / painting gates and fence