Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Another metal fence paint question
- - By gangel99 (*) Date 05-18-2005 03:34
I am making a steel railing for my deck (personal, not a business). The house is in CA at about 2000' in an area that gets lots of weather - and the altitude produces lots of UV. (plastic water hoses don't last too long).

I was thinking of getting it powder coated just so I would not have to repaint so often - but I don't know about the cost. Would something like 'cold galvanize' as a primer and rustoleum paint work be a decent choice? Other suggestions?

Parent - By Mike W (**) Date 05-18-2005 05:31
I painted some used rusty pipe that I used as fence supports years ago. I used Sherwin Williams industrial oil base primer and paint and brushed it on. I used a wire wheel on the pipe before hand to knock off any loose rust. It kind of surprised me that it still looks like new. My experience with the cold galv has been kind of iffy. I think the key is getting an adequate paint film. This is hard to do on sharp corners.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-18-2005 09:11
Cold galvanizing is nothing more that zinc-rich paint. It works fine but tends to be over rated. Polyurethane top coats resist UV degradation and might work well in your case. But all paints will eventually deteriorate.
It all boils down to the fact that nothing lasts forever without some kind of maintenance, and there is no perfect paint system. Most paints work very well in the application they are formulated for, but it's easy to get caught up in which paint is best.

Today's paint products are formulated for any kind of environment imaginable. Remember that the paint companies need to keep customers happy to stay in business. A lot of technology and research goes into the paints that are on the market. If you buy cheap paint then you will get what you paid for.

I gave this same advice the other day on another post but it still applies here - I would contact a reputable paint store or supplier for recommendations.
When you apply the paint, be sure to follow the directions carefully. Don't mix product manufacturers (primer by one company, top coat by another, thinner by a 3rd, etc) unless the manufacturer says it is OK to do so.

Don't overlook that automotive clear coats or even just plain ol' car wax can keep your railings looking good. They work pretty well on cars.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-18-2005 11:05
When I built the gate/entrance into a piece of land that I had, I had our shop here at work apply a hard epoxy type coating. It might not be available in an array of colors but the light grey that I chose went well with the maroon gate. I put that gate/entrance up several years ago and it still looks shiny and fresh today.

I vote for the auto finishes too, and like Chet mentioned, car wax is a great protectant from the elements.

John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Another metal fence paint question