Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / $what to charge for welding
- - By pro-weld Date 05-18-2005 01:51
I have a mobile welding service, I charge about 50-60 dollars an hour when doing repair work, I guess it also depends on what welding process i use. I also do light to medium fabrications in my small shop. I usually quote the fab jobs.
anyway, this machinery builder called, and they want me to come in and mig weld mild steel square tube frames that are already fit up, easy welding as far as that goes. i will be using their machines and anything else i would need.

they want to pay me by the hour, which is fine, but I dont know what to charge. the 50-60 amount is too high i think.

what is a fair amount to charge?

any input is greatly appreciated. thanks

mike
Parent - - By TOMWELDS Date 05-18-2005 05:14
Were are you located? were i am, that makes a BIG difference.
Parent - By pro-weld Date 05-18-2005 13:04
Im in NE ohio.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-18-2005 11:10
Figure what your time is worth to you and a figure that you are comfortable charging and go with it. You could always negotiate a little if they balk at your first offer, that is if you really need to do this.
John Wright

Parent - - By rangerod (**) Date 05-19-2005 03:15
Pro-welds

Who introduced the idea of you using his equipment? Does it benefit you to do so or are you more comfortable using your own equipment to perform the work. I consult for a company where I utilize their equipment & charge $25 an hour because it benefits me not to have to drag my trailer to their place of business due to the distance to the company. If it were closer I would have worked out that I would be using my equipment & charge $70 an hour when I intially started the job. Your price depends on the deal you strike before you start. Different things are more or less important to each individual so as long as you are happy go for it.
Parent - By mometal77 (*) Date 05-26-2005 06:21
I dont know if you are still watching this usually i have seen people charge 25 hr for there machine and 34 hr for there person good luck with the job
Parent - By Rufus (*) Date 06-06-2005 06:07
They want you to use their equipment so they can save off of your equipment charge. They just want to pay for your experteese. I would charge what ever my rate is minus the equipment charge.
Parent - - By gawelder (**) Date 06-07-2005 00:54
Hey Mike, I've had a mobile welding service for about 23 years.I have my own shop, but I have also worked out a deal with a guy that has a
machine shop with cnc mills&lathes.He doesn't like to weld, so I do his
welding for him and I use his weld shop sometimes. He pays me $30.00
an hour to do welding for him, using his equipment. He charges me $15.00 dollars an hour to use his equipment for my business.My rate at my shop&mobile unit is $50.00 an hour for mild steel,cast iron,& stainless
steel. My rate for aluminum welding is $60.00 an hour.

Hope this helps!!!!
gawelder
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 06-07-2005 02:57
Gawelder:
Great info
Thanks,
pjs
Parent - By pro-weld Date 06-08-2005 14:08
I told him 30 per hr. he never called back. thats fine, i dont want to hose down those frames all day for chump change.

thanks for the replies weldors

mike
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / $what to charge for welding