Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / mechanical spatter shielding?
- - By cricman Date 05-22-2005 01:14
Hello,

I am a "new" welder with only a little experience with electric forms of welding. I have some brazing and OA experience. I just acquired a flux core machine that I think is a kick, and is perfectly suited for the hobby level welding I will do (gadgets for the deer lease, a new gate frame for the yard, etc...). I want to make some welds that are a little cleaner looking than typical FCAW, but don't feel the need to invest money in a mig set up. The welder I have is not readily convertible, but could be with some time and money, but again, I don't have a huge need for a MIG set up, yet. I was wondering if there is anything prohibitive about using sheet aluminum or copper on either side of the bead to protect the work pieces from spatter? I figured that I could hold the shields in place with small magnets, since all of my work is on mild steel. Any thoughts, or should I bust out the angle grinder? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

cricman
Parent - By pjseaman (**) Date 05-22-2005 02:46
There is a spray anti-spatter in aerosol cans or liquid for a mist sprayer.
I have used both and they work fairly well but the trick is not to overdo it and get too much in the weld zone, a small amount isn't a problem but it is easy to get too much.

Weld well,
pjseaman
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-22-2005 04:59
Sheet metal will work fine (why not steel, then if you accidentally include it in the weld the metalurgy won't be badly disturbed). I wrap damp newspaper around hydraulic piston rods when I need to protect them. And of course the spray works fine when somebody hasn't used it all up.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / mechanical spatter shielding?